Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: invincible warriors...????  (Read 1044 times)

☼theowen☼

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
invincible warriors...????
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:05 pm »

so i have a couple dwarves, and i enrolled two into the military. i let them be normal dwarves while they werent killing something, and gave one an axe and the other a sword (both iron). but i began noticing something: they seemed to be invincible. neither of them ever got a cut or a scar, going up against trolls and blind cave ogres and the like. they both had a dabbling level of skill in their respective skills. this is the first time i have had a military so i may be a little inexperienced. if anyone knows if this is normal or a bug or something else, please tell. 

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: invincible warriors...????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

Do they have armour?
Do they have any dodging, striking, etc skills?

Pure luck can always play a great part.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:12 pm »

its possible, although there's a similar thread about one crazy dwarf that seems to defy the laws of reasonable probability.  However, unskilled dwarves with decent weapons can do alright, particularly against unarmed creatures.  Even if it doesn't kill, the first blow often decides the fight.  Also, if these dwarves have other skills, this would have improved their physical and soul attributes regarding combat to above average.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »

Yeah, dwarves with metal slashing weapons are incredibly effective against most normal, unskilled and unarmed creatures. Which is actually pretty realistic.

Watch out for jabberers and giant cave spiders, though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:24:56 pm »

The moment you start to rely only on them for protection is when they'll get that one hit that makes them drop their weapon and be helplessly slaughtered. It's mostly luck, though dwarfs not weighed down by a ton of armor they don't know how to use are better at dodging and not getting hit in the first place
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.