Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expansion/Exploration range  (Read 529 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Expansion/Exploration range
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »

Sorry if I didn't dig far enough back to find this tidbit...

I'm new to DF, and one thing I'm confused about is how to explore farther in the X and Y axis directions. Yeah, there's tons of space along Z, but how do I get to the rest of the world?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion/Exploration range
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:47 pm »

At embark you have to choose the size of your embark. You cannot go beyond that except maybe with a reclaim. The reason is because the game just lags too much if you have too many squares. Also pathfinding can become more difficult and slow the game more with more choices of where to go.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:50:36 pm »

abandon fortress and become an adventurer.  Or wait several years and you should be able to adventure outside with an army.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:51:30 pm »

so it takes all that time to create a huge, varied world....and then you can't do anything with it?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:53:31 pm »

so it takes all that time to create a huge, varied world....and then you can't do anything with it?

You can do plenty with it. There's a whole Adventure game type where you can wander the world RPG-style. You can also make new fortresses in the same world.

The next version will include the option to retire a fortress and go make a new one in the same world without having to abandon.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:14 pm »

If I'm understanding correctly, though, all I'll ever be able to make and manage in the same session is a single fortress. I can't go over to that mountain in the next world tile over and start another fortress.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »

If I'm understanding correctly, though, all I'll ever be able to make and manage in the same session is a single fortress. I can't go over to that mountain in the next world tile over and start another fortress.
Yes. At the moment, not without abandoning that fortress. Only one fort can be run at a time in the world, but you can run successive fortresses. Coming in the next updates are the ability to resign as leader of a fortress without the site being abandoned.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

DF creates worlds of both immense size and incredible detail.  Its a simply a limitation of technology that you can't simulate the former without abstracting the later.  Adventure mode allows you to travel the world, at the cost of not having 200 dwarves at once.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:55 am »

Currently you can't venture outside your little embark area. The game's far from finished though so who knows how things will look in a few years. It's probably more a case of haven't gotten around to it, it being kind of hard to implement or it taking a long time than "don't want to have this".

What you can do is embarking on a larger area if you change the size before embarking, but it will affect performance.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.