Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (in Monster Land!)  (Read 1269 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Has anyone been following this?

http://www.devblog.neocoregames.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Adventures_of_Van_Helsing

I've not heard anything about it until it popped up on Steams "Coming Soon" list. It looks like an interesting action RPG with nice environments, creature designs and ability mechanics.

Uh... really I'm looking for what other people know about it, as it's something that has caught my eye.

Plus the title of the game seems a tad silly, unintentionally so I'm guessing. Makes it sound like a saturday morning cartoon. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (in Monster Land!)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:22:43 am »

I've enjoyed stuff by Neocore in the past (even if King Arthur could be a bit buggy/perform kind of shitty.) Neocore has a real flair for classic fantasy/mythology. I'll give this a look, even though I'm not exactly grabbed by the presentation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

I heard a lot of good things from beta tester about this game. It looks it will be a OK arpg game.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »

I've enjoyed stuff by Neocore in the past (even if King Arthur could be a bit buggy/perform kind of shitty.) Neocore has a real flair for classic fantasy/mythology. I'll give this a look, even though I'm not exactly grabbed by the presentation.
Neocore does seem to have flair with mythology and history. King's Crusade was a fairly competent Total War clone and felt quite authentic. I quite enjoyed King Arthur and found the genre mash-up to be quite compelling. I do wish they went a little more authentic with the time period, I'm a sucker for Dark Age armour and weaponry and I found the decadent platemail designs way too over the top - more classically designed Celtic/Briton mythology would also be welcome. 
I never did finish either title mainly due to my own incompetence at Total War styled games. I enjoy RTS and [Paradox] Grand Strategy games but could never really settle comfortably in TW (I have been getting some mileage with Hegemony: Wars of Ancient Greece though).

On the subject of the actual game of the topic; I can't say I'm particularly excited about the very little I know about the title. It seems like a pretty standard aRPG setup which I was never much fond of. Neocore does seem like the kind of dev team that could mash-up a few mechanics that could elevate the gameplay to a level I could find enjoyable. I suppose I might also get some enjoyment if the world and story is crafted well enough but that can be a hard sell if I find the gameplay too tedious.