Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What about the bugs?  (Read 880 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What about the bugs?
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:26:37 am »

I was wondering, with all this extra content coming in the next big release, will the simple bugs that plague the game also get a fix? I'm talking about stuff like dwarves stealing from traders for the hospital, soldiers grumbling over patrol duty and getting unhappy even when they're not on patrol duty, untreatable infected nails killing adventurers and dwarves, throwing being the equivalent of a nuclear strike, marksdwarves not training etc.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What about the bugs?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:41:30 am »

Probably not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:47:21 am »

No, most likely few if any of those bugs will be fixed when the next release comes out.  Particularly combat balance things like crossbow railguns, throwing railguns, or leather thongs being weapons of mass destruction in the hands of minotaurs.

Simpler fixes like dwarves overstocking the hospital or soldiers complaining about long patrols probably won't be fixed upon release, but with .34.11 Toady did fix a few long standing bugs in the subsequent bug fix releases, such as lye in buckets causing problems and the entire clothing system being broken to the point of being disabled.  It's possible that he may fix other long standing bugs in a similar fashion, but just which ones and when are up to him and we won't know until he starts working on them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »

I was wondering, with all this extra content coming in the next big release, will the simple bugs that plague the game also get a fix? I'm talking about stuff like dwarves stealing from traders for the hospital, soldiers grumbling over patrol duty and getting unhappy even when they're not on patrol duty, untreatable infected nails killing adventurers and dwarves, throwing being the equivalent of a nuclear strike, marksdwarves not training etc.

yes.  But not all of them.  Lots of stuff gets broken in a major release, Toady will spend a few months probably fixing bugs with new things, fixing new bugs in old things, and yes, fixing old bugs in old things.  I can guarantee at least two of the bugs you mentioned will stick around for another few years though.  But I'm optimistic.  3 Years after DF2010 the hospital works pretty well, uniforms and layering are a lot better.  But still, if you think the bugs are a problem now, consider that we're right before a major release.  Things are less buggy now than they've been for 3 years, and in a few months it will be more buggy than it will have been in a long time.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »

Though the long patrol issue might be fixed since there is already a binary patch
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:49 pm »

There are also utilities like DFHack. If you set up the init file you can get a lot of use out of it without ever typing a thing. Hospital overstocking can be fixed, along with patrol duty thoughts.

The disadvantage is that you either need to know the workarounds, or be willing to wait for DFHack updates before you play a new version.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:08:25 am »

There are also utilities like DFHack. If you set up the init file you can get a lot of use out of it without ever typing a thing. Hospital overstocking can be fixed, along with patrol duty thoughts.

Quick question: I use the standard dfhack.ini (from the .example), and I think it misses quite a few workarounds I hear people talking about, like the hospital overstocking and military training time bugs. Should I change the ini, or find a new (linux) dfhack version?

Code: [Select]
$ grep tweak ~/df_linux/dfhack.init
# UI and game logic tweaks #
tweak stable-cursor
tweak patrol-duty
tweak readable-build-plate
tweak stable-temp
tweak fast-heat 500
tweak fix-dimensions
tweak advmode-contained
tweak fast-trade
tweak military-stable-assign
tweak military-color-assigned

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:37 am »

A lot of the bugs that go unfixed are because they're part of systems that Toady is planning to redo or overhaul anyway.  Why fix the leaky faucet if you're bulldozing the house tomorrow?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:11:58 pm »

Type "binpatch apply hospital-overstocking" into the console. If it accepts it, copy that command into the dfhack.init file. The military training time one is presumably the one that encourages more sparring in general and more training even with larger squads, and that one is "tweak military-training". Either of those may already be in the init file and commented out, so look for the text first.

If you type these in and don't get a confirmation that they've been enabled, they're not in the version you have.