Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No option to make steel?  (Read 750 times)

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No option to make steel?
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:10:07 am »

Right, I have pig iron (about 29 bars) regular iron bars (over 100) flux (marble, about 75) and I have over 200 coke, when I go to check the smelter, it gives me the option to smelt more pig iron, but I don't have any option to smelt steel... Can anyone assist?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: No option to make steel?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:11:59 am »

Does the Make Steel Bars job show up as an option in the manager?

Are you using any mods?  If so, the reaction to make steel bars might have been left out of your entity.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:12:37 am »

Technically, it's "Make steel bars", not "Smelt steel bars", but other than that, try doing it via the Job Manager screen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:23 am »

I think I generated the world whilst testing a mod, yeah. That might be why then

and no, it didn't give me any option in the manager screen either

Well... Time to gen the world again, cheers.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31:07 am »

no, I've seen this happen before, it probably has nothing to do with any mods.  The bug tends to resolve itself eventually, especially if you start looking into stockpiles.  It could of course happen if you have your smelters only accepting from certain stockpiles and those stockpiles don't have all the reagents, such as coke.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:18 am »

I generally just leave my craftsdwarves to get their own stuff (I'd keep forgetting to check the stockpiles)
So it's semi-normal to not have any option to make steel?

Edit: as in I don't even have an option, not just greyed out
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:38:52 am by Artinnio »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:55 am »

no, I've seen this happen before, it probably has nothing to do with any mods.  The bug tends to resolve itself eventually, especially if you start looking into stockpiles.  It could of course happen if you have your smelters only accepting from certain stockpiles and those stockpiles don't have all the reagents, such as coke.

This would cause the option to show up as red / unavailable, but I think he's not seeing it at all, which usually means the reaction was left out of the entity file.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:20:16 am »

Yeah, I'm not seeing it at all, I've genned a new world with a clean set of Raws so it should be good

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:56:37 pm »

What do you mean by 'clean'?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »

well, he's testing a mod, so I'd guess an unmodded raw?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 06:17:36 pm »

Yep, sounds like the reaction got removed from the raws. It's actually very easy to fix, and you should be able to add it back without affecting the rest of mod.

You'll still need to regen the world.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0