Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: set farms to raise plump helmets by default  (Read 1453 times)

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
set farms to raise plump helmets by default
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

It's occurred to me that one of the major stumbling blocks for new players is the fact that the farms are set to lay fallow when you first make them. A (presumably) simple change to the initilization of new farms to make them grow plump helmets every season would allow them to start working right off the bat.

While I admit that this could be odd in larger forts, in new forts it could be a lifesaver if you have lots of things you need to set up very quickly.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: set farms to raise plump helmets by default
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

And then you get players who don't know how to grow anything besides plump helmets instead of learning.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:55 am »

And then you get players who don't know how to grow anything besides plump helmets instead of learning.

Yup.  Too much hand-holding isn't just annoying, it also engenders weakness.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:45:18 am »

"While I admit that this could be odd in larger forts, in new forts it could be a lifesaver if you have lots of things you need to set up very quickly."

What do you exactly mean by that? The game is paused while you give out orders, so as for in-game time, it isn't any faster to have the farms autoassigned to plump helmets. As for real-life time... Well, if you have time to play DF, then you definitely have enough. :P

As a beginner I've had a much bigger problem. Not knowing that you can increase farm size, I was building a multitude of 1x1 farms. Highly annoying, and it confused the hell out of me why would someone make it in such an inefficient manner. :D
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:18 am »

A better way to do it would be to use burrows, or a similar tool, to paint fields. That way you could give the orders what to grow in them straight away, instead of having to wait until the "farm plot building" is built and returning to issue those orders.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:55:05 am »

Burrows might be one way, sure. [d]esignation would be another. Although I suppose you would lose the ability to set seasonal variations with that, so yeah, probably better to go burrows.

I suppose a more flexible way to designate farming areas would be neccessary either way, if we're ever to get to stuff like orchards and such in a good way. Plus, I've often been in positions where the current limits on farm size has become an issue. That said, assigning plants to be grown was never really a problem, for me at least.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

Burrows might be one way, sure. [d]esignation would be another. Although I suppose you would lose the ability to set seasonal variations with that, so yeah, probably better to go burrows.
How about zones?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »

I also think all zone function ought to be moved over to the burrows. The burrow system is a more functional and easier interface to handle surfaces.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:57 pm »

Burrows are much more flexible, yeah. Much easier to set them up, no restrictions on size, and easily changed once placed.