Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working on Fortress or Adventure mode more?  (Read 1291 times)

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working on Fortress or Adventure mode more?
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:26:43 am »

Just wondering,  I know full updates to the game are far between so I dont come by that often, but when I read all the changes hes working on it sounds more like adventure mode then fortress mode. Is that the focus atm?  Just curiosity if I should expect much from the next game update.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working on Fortress or Adventure mode more?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:42:09 pm »

He typically alternates between fortress mode updates and adventure mode updates, probably more for his own sanity and change of pace.  Many of the changes have to do with adventure mode this time around, but there are so many changes that impact fortress mode too it's not correct to say this is an "adventure mode" change.  Combat movement/attack split, tree changes, fort retirement (instead of just abandonment), units moving around during play, succession, a few bug fixes (people won't show up to your fort and immediately die anymore), birth and death during normal play, and potentially new embarkable sites are a few things off the top of my head that directly impacts fortress mode.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:19 am »

The following is more an overall game update, the main body or core of the update is the world activation, as in, the world will not stop for you at the end of world gen but will keep it's dynamism while you play.

Other important point is that no longer you'll be force to abandon a fortress, you can retire them now and they'll keep on their own (or die trying) while you can play as an adventurer or another fortress and you can come back whenever you want to. Hence I would say that even when the side developments are mainly for adventure, the main purpose is affect the whole game and open up even more possibilities for the next updates.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »

Also, adventure has more developement because it has less features and is much more simpler. Fortress mode is much more "complete", there is just few things that are still missing from it (like economy and many nobles). Since adventure mode is free moving in the world, there is much more to do in it. Also, most of adventure-updates are also legends mode updates, since they handle how world works as a whole.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:44 am »

Are hill dwarves going to be in the next release?  I recall that being in one of Toady's updates.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:43 pm »

There will be hill dwarfs in world gen and you can visit their hillocks in adventurer mode, but you can't send out your own hill dwarfs yet.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.