Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Stuck in Bed  (Read 1003 times)

Captacha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Stuck in Bed
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:51:47 pm »

I have an expedition leader who has been sleeping in a bed for many months. Whatever I try he won't wake up. I've tried assigning the bed to him, with no effect. I've also tried removing the bed; this causes one dwarf to remove the bed and another to move the dwarf to another bed. Has anyone else encountered this before?

Onkel D.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Stuck in Bed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:39:49 pm »

Have you checked if he's injured?
He might be completely mangled and useles....

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:16:55 pm »

I've had this occur when dwarves get ko'd from pain whilst standing on a bed. Try assigning a hospital zone under him first, then remove the bed. - He should then be moved to the actual hospital if he's injured.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »

I've had this occur when dwarves get ko'd from pain whilst standing on a bed.

Ah, that might explain it.  I've only seen it a few times and deconstructing the bed has caused a dwarf to 'recover wounded' and take him to the hospital.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »

In truth, I encountered this because my favored method of children disposal is dropping garbage (or wild animals) on them while they sleep. The damn things can be tricky to hit otherwise.

Captacha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »

It seems that my dwarf is a tiny bit injured. His spine and ribs are broken. How can I put him down/fix him?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:49:29 pm »

If his spine's broken he's gonna spend his life in bed or in traction.

Potential solutions;-
- Channel a hole in the ceiling above him and assign a garbage dump zone to the pit. Dump a load of rocks down.
- As above, but use lava. - Always a popular solution with the added fun of burning the hospital down.
- Wall him in and ignore him.
- Build glass windows around him so everyone can watch him starve to death.
- Release a megabeast into the hospital.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »

Technically spinal injuries are only a big deal if the nervous tissue itself is damaged.  Even a bruise will lead to permanent crippling though.  You should be able to see if the nervous tissue is damaged from his health screen.

Another needlessly difficult solution to his ailment is to capture a werebeast and let it bite but not kill him.  He should turn into one too once a month, and heal all wounds in the process.  There's no going back though.  So you'll have to find a way to segregate him from the regulars during his monthly spree of death.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »

Technically spinal injuries are only a big deal if the nervous tissue itself is damaged.  Even a bruise will lead to permanent crippling though.  You should be able to see if the nervous tissue is damaged from his health screen.

Another needlessly difficult solution to his ailment is to capture a werebeast and let it bite but not kill him.  He should turn into one too once a month, and heal all wounds in the process.  There's no going back though.  So you'll have to find a way to segregate him from the regulars during his monthly spree of death.  :)
Or turn every dwarf into a werebeast.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:32 pm »

A spinal injury that doesn't kill a dwarf outright (through suffocation) is often 'only' a fracture of the bone tissue. That can be fixed and healed, and the dwarf will make a full recovery.

If the _lower_ spine's nervous tissue is damaged (the only spinal nerve damage that's survivable), the dwarf will permanently lose the use of its legs. They can only crawl on the floor, making them move and work extremely slowly (and they're completely unable to operate pumps, it seems). The quality of their work will not directly suffer, a legendary craftsdwarf who doesn't need to produce items in bulk will be only slightly less useful. If you don't want to deal with a crawling worker, you can retire the handicapped dwarf, e.g. to an administrative post or lever-puller.