Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Question  (Read 588 times)

GaretJax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newb Question
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:53 pm »

I am using the Ironhand graphics with the latest newb package.

Most of the time when I mine into cliffs or mountains, the border of the mined rooms are red.  The videos on you tube showing how to play the game demonstrate mining and they show mining rooms,  but their borders are earth tones.  Whats the difference between the two colours?

Thanks.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »

Probably two different types of rock, with different colors?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »

It may be red sand, which is fairly common near the surface as a soil type. When you look at one of those red tiles with 'k' what does it tell you the wall is made of?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

GaretJax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »

Just learned about k tonight.

It is fire clay wall.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:11 am »

Fire clay is awesome btw because you can make pots to hold booze from it without using any other products once you have a source of fuel. Check it out on the wiki :)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

Soil, sand, and clay are all the same from the game's point of view.  They are quick to mine, do not produce rocks, and can grow plants.  As far as the tutorials are concerned, just be sure you're not mining into a rock layer when you're supposed to be mining a soil layer, and make sure you're not mining soil when the tutorial wants you mining rock.  (Your farms must be built on soil layers.  Your mason, mechanic, and stonecrafting industries need you to mine some rock -- although the workshops themselves can be anywhere.)