Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mortal Online  (Read 3594 times)

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
Mortal Online
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:05 pm »

Hiya, I've been really enjoying this game for a while now, And i wanted to share it with all of you. :D
Its an MMO sandbox style game, Where you can do almost anything. You can craft Armour, weapons, foods, potions, etc, And you can tame, Fight, Use magic, Swim for treasure, Or gather materials! Its an open PVP world, Where there are guild wars, And just plain out greifers, murderers, and thief's! Oh, And did i mention full nudity? XD There is no map in the game, So its mostly landmarks, or looking at a player made map. There are quite a few bugs, but it is still very enjoyable!

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Online
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »

Hello there Amber, I remember your little scheme over at LA, but that's the past :P

Could we get a link atleast in the post? Some of us are novies in google-fu.

Forker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48:17 pm »

It's an okay game, but it is indeed very buggy. I had high hopes for this game, and i hope one day they get it together, but i feel like using the unreal engine was a horrible decision and has permanently crippled development.

In the meantime, there is also Darkfall Unholy Wars (http://www.darkfallonline.com/), which will be released in a month or so (maybe). Aventurine is horrible developer though, so who knows if the promises they make will ever come to fruition.

The gaming world is grossly lacking in non tab target (full loot!) sandbox mmo's. :(

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:51:42 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:28 pm »

I remember a huge amount of hype for this game and then boom -- nothing.

How's the playerbase?  Moribund?
Shoes...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »

I played this all during beta and when it was first released for a few months. Was OK, but terribly buggy. They made some questionable decisions that drove me away too. For example, they released the game with a really simple dupe exploit that I and others had reported during the beta. They fixed it fairly quick, but not before it was abused, and nothing was done about the abuse. Plus at the very start all the skill books were the same super cheap price, and soon after they upped the prices really high to the point that you had to farm a long time to get the high end ones. Yet some guilds had mysteriously stockpiled a bunch of those high end ones when they were dirt cheap, despite claiming they had no idea it was coming. I remember people selling those books that they paid a pittance for to people for 80-90% of the new price, making them big piles of money.

They also did nothing to stop people abusing bugs to scam people, like a bug that allowed you to wait until the other guy agreed to the trade then take out your side of the trade and the other guy was still locked in so once they hit accept the other guy got nothing. I can't remember if they ever fixed that one before I quit, but I remember reporting people who were doing it and the GMs said it was working as intended. It got to where I had trouble selling people steel weapons because they'd be all "You click trade first!" and I'd be "No, you!" and they'd back out on buying it because they thought I was going to scam them (or they were trying to scam me and I refused to fall for it? who knows, haha) and I'd be stuck with a customized steel weapon that they had special ordered. I eventually made people pay me in advance and put their trust in me just to buy from me when doing deals on the custom weapons, but that ran some people away.

The rampant unpunished exploit abuse is what eventually ran me away. I'd go out pvping and me and my friends would kill some guys who were all decked out in apparently high end metal armor and weapons and they'd drop nothing and immediately respawn and rush at us again still in full gear and we'd wind up either dead or running away because they just kept coming. And they would be zooming around like they were naked even though they'd take hits like they were heavily armored. Did they ever fix all that?

Even with all the buggyness and exploiting I had a decent time playing it. In addition to pvp, I enjoyed just being a merchant. I had a few repeat customers that liked me. I remember one guy who was a murderer that I would meet outside town (the back path that few people traveled on, out by a bridge, by the big town on the east side of the map - I forget the name) and deliver him weapons, he'd always be worried about being killed during the trade but it never happened, and I was the only weapon smith who would sell to him so he tipped me well for delivering them outside town. Had a couple murderers I did that with actually. Running a naked crafting char outside of town with a bunch of expensive steel weapons on him to meet a murderer was apparently something most crafters refused to do. Surprisingly, nobody ever killed me - and most of them tipped me some money for the trouble and wound up becoming repeat customers.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:54 am »

It looks and sounds like it might be worth a shot, but the manual client download is 404ing.  :-\
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 03:38:30 am »

I was originally going to start a new thread about this, but a quick search found this...

ANYWAY...
This game is quite good, think about a game like Skyrim where there is no Quests and the story is yours to build. You level up much like one did in Morrowind too (jumping around impoves jumping making you better at jumping, whoda thought)...
Its also recently gone F2P. You only get one character slot for free and you are capped at 60 points in the skills BUT as far as I know its not restrictive much after that. Oh. And there is an option called "Enable Full Nudity". Hehe... :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...