Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade caravan wagon appeared on inaccesible edge of map  (Read 634 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade caravan wagon appeared on inaccesible edge of map
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:15:12 pm »

Imagine the map is bisected by a river going through the middle from one end to the opposite, so land creatures from one side of the map cannot reach the other.  My fort and trade depot are on one side of the map, and I use a combination of walls and extending the river to seal off the edges of the map on my side, about 6 tiles from the edge, then build a bridge over the river with the idea that the only access to my fort would be from the other side of the map across the bridge.  I checked and my trade depot was accessible from the edge of the map on the other side of the river, across the bridge, then to my depot.  Unfortunately, when the trade caravan appeared I got the 'wagon bypasses my site' message and the rest of the caravan appeared on my side of the map, behind the water and walls, unable to reach my depot.  I had to quickly build another bridge on my side just to get the caravan's other pack animals.  My question is why doesn't the trade caravan appear on an edge of the map that has a path to my depot, which I thought it would and the wiki said it would ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Trade caravan wagon appeared on inaccesible edge of map
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »

When caravans first appear they determine which sides of the map their civilization can access and will only ever appear on those sides. Most of the time civs will determine they can access all 4 sides and cutting off access to any of them isn't a problem, but every once in a while a civ will determine that it can only reach a specific side or two, resulting in what you are seeing if access is cut off.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »

Interesting...never heard that one before.  Thanks for the info.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

Does this behavior apply to 31.25 as well? Playing an older fort from DF2010, I've walled off the path to my depot and run a bridge to the north edge, such that wagon access is only on a single stripe across that path and bridge. But an elven caravan just showed up along the western edge and wouldn't budge until I gave them access to the depot a different way.

Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 03:14:51 pm »

When caravans first appear they determine which sides of the map their civilization can access and will only ever appear on those sides. Most of the time civs will determine they can access all 4 sides and cutting off access to any of them isn't a problem, but every once in a while a civ will determine that it can only reach a specific side or two, resulting in what you are seeing if access is cut off.
I suspect the determination is made at embark, not when the first caravans appear, so only the initial map pathability matters, not any subsequent changes to the terrain. Have you seen any evidence of different civilizations having different sets of map edge tiles to appear?