Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Work vs Leisure Time  (Read 961 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Work vs Leisure Time
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:55:15 am »

There are goals of adding bar fights, having dwarves go to admire their favorite statues, annual celebrations, and having children play with toys and adults play with puzzleboxes. Obviously having dwarves do more for personal pleasure makes them more interesting and lifelike, but the unavoidable downside is that dwarves having fun is inevitably taking time away from getting actual work done.

Personally I think this is acceptable, because if dwarven psychology gets expanded beyond recent good/bad thoughts, maintaining dwarves mental well-being could be as important and intensive as working with industry and military. However, I don't exactly know how the player could be involved with dwarves on breaks. Any thoughts or ideas on the matter?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Work vs Leisure Time
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »

Honestly, if "on break" is replaced with various time-off activities, maybe with a bit more average time spent not working, that would be fine.  Alternatively, adding a way to force dwarves to work that causes bad thoughts would be welcome, so if your mason goes on break when you need some walls built to repel an FB you can force him to do it, with an appropriate happiness penalty.  Something else that might be nice is if the amount of time spent "on break" is influenced by dwarf happiness.  So, a very unhappy dwarf will take more breaks, while a happy dwarf works more.  This could be coupled with a system that perhaps evens out the happiness of dwarves, so they are usually content or happy, or maybe very happy if their personality supports it, while they are only ecstatic when big things happen, like making artifacts or having children (or even playing with children, I know many parents are in 7th Heaven just from playing with their young children).  On the other hand, things like eating in a legendary dining room could probably be scaled back, or have a lowered effect over time - the first few times they eat there, it's really cool, but then it becomes mundane.  This would also encourage changing and adding to older meeting halls, if eventually the dwarves would barely go from content to happy by being there.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:23:26 pm »

There can probably be a lot of additional interplay with the various dwarven personality traits.  And possibly the breaks/work becoming more predictable, possibly even allowing for the development of work shifts.

Per what makes a particular dwarf content, happy, sad, mad, etc. that would probably depend on the personality.  A very tradition-bound dwarf would probably be quite happy with a static design for the dining hall, bedroom, and places he frequents.  Others want constant new things to see.  So you will see conflicting dynamics for the fortress to deal with in terms of design, change, and providing for.

There also might be some sort of general understanding of "threat level" or age in the fortress regarding the citizens as well.  If there is a full-scale alert on-going you can generate some unhappiness as a default - but also the dwarves will generally stop taking breaks temporarily in order to mobilize the reaction.  And it might also be that a young fortress (first year or so) will have dwarves that are a bit more dedicated to work since there is much to be done.  (Or simply that in the first year the dwarves are more content to get by with minimal beds, dining facilities, etc.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:37:14 pm »

I always like the idea of guildmasters managing work schedules in a similar way to the military. Though hopefully the system would have a better UI. The one thing that I think would be important is that dwarves could ignore the schedule, but you'd be able to punish the dwarves by punishing them in some way. The longer you set their work schedules the bigger the punishment will have to be to make them work and the more likely it'll be that they tantrum. But a system where your military dwarves could break up tantrums would be nice as well. It wouldn't be as efficient as a happy fort but if players want to play Sparta that's fine by me. The more options the better in my opinion.