Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with remains of unexpected visitor (Slight spoilers)  (Read 486 times)

Knightl

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly mad- A happy mad.
    • View Profile

Recently (About 1 minute ago) my Dorfs slew their first Titan! Yay, No losses and only injury is a decapitated dog...Ok one loss.

It was a gem titan and it was cut into several parts, two legs, Head, Rest of body. After its death this caught my eye.

When I googled I got no result, What exactly is it* and what can/should I do with it?

*obviously a gem

Extremely rarely, you'll see peasants without a bed or booze achieve it, because their life is shit.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with remains of unexpected visitor (Slight spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:16:09 am »

Enemies that are made from materials can be set to drop that material when they die. Ash demons can drop ash, iron titans can drop iron, etc. This was a gem titan, so it dropped a gem. Unfortunately despite being enormous (it weighs more than six statues, nearly as much as four boulders), it's also worthless, as you can see there. Put it in a minecart and launch it at invaders.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:17 am »

The weight is completely insane - that's not just under four thousand, it's more than thirty-seven thousand - more than the weight of thirty gold statues.

Star sapphires are sapphires which show a brighter star-shaped reflection on their surface. Quite valuable in the real world and in DF. Unfortunately, as has been said, this one's completely unusable - your dwarfs cannot use anorganic remains as raw material.

Good job on slaying it, sapphire should make for a tougher opponent than diamond (diamond is a bit harder, but brittle).

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

As I see it, you have a few options:

1: Atom-smash or otherwise dispose of it
2: Build it into a "garbage" trap (Falling objects, as long as they fall more than 1 z-level or so (I THINK) can do crazy damage. I've seen dwarves get killed by seeds, socks, and silk ropes hitting them in the head--imagine what a corpse of this mass could do.)
3: Put it on display in a museum
4: If you're near a tower, wait and hope that you get a necromancer to show up, then coerce him into raising the titan from the dead. Keep him under lock and key, then when you get a siege, release the undead titan to wreck some goblins.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »

2: Build it into a "garbage" trap (Falling objects, as long as they fall more than 1 z-level or so (I THINK) can do crazy damage. I've seen dwarves get killed by seeds, socks, and silk ropes hitting them in the head--imagine what a corpse of this mass could do.)
4: If you're near a tower, wait and hope that you get a necromancer to show up, then coerce him into raising the titan from the dead. Keep him under lock and key, then when you get a siege, release the undead titan to wreck some goblins.

I'm curious wether or not 4. would work on an inorganic titan.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Knightl

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly mad- A happy mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:05:04 pm »

How would I go about putting it on display?

Oh btw, It also was a poison spitter so that was fun to deal with  :P

Extremely rarely, you'll see peasants without a bed or booze achieve it, because their life is shit.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 04:51:57 am »

Necromancers are currently all-powerful and can raise skin, hair, and fingers from the dead. Anything that was once animate can probably get reanimated.

As far as displaying, sky's the limit. I'd put it on like a pedastal or something, surrounded by Gem windows. But that's just me.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:39 am »

I'd put it in a Coinstar. For invaders, naturally.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."