Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desert Bus approaches!  (Read 836 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Desert Bus approaches!
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:37 pm »

Well, actually, it's still six months away. The Craft Along has been announced, however, so the countdown is officially on.

If you're not familiar with Desert Bus for Hope, it's a charity event run by some folks (Loading Ready Run) here in my home town of Victoria, BC, which raises funds for Child's Play, a charity dedicated to helping children in hospital have a little less abysmal of an experience by providing games, books, and toys. Over the six years the event has been running, Desert Bus has raised over $1,000,000 for the charity by playing the most boring game ever created, which lends its name to the event, in a non-stop week long webcasted marathon full of viewer challenges, celebrity call ins, auctions, giveaways, and examples of just what sleep deprivation does to the human psyche.

The event itself is still 196 days away, according to the site's countdown, and as I mentioned above, they've started accepting ideas for their annual Craft Along, where viewers make awesome items to be auctioned off and given away during the event. If you'd like to contribute, and have some crafting skills, perhaps I could convince you to follow the link and send something along - and if you don't, check out some of the videos from previous years on Youtube, talk it up with your friends, and perhaps, tune in to watch.

And now, for the cast of this event reacting to Normal Guy, Normal Walk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:02:05 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Desert Bus approaches!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:12 pm »

Someone should rent an actual bus and drive the Desert Bus route.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »

I'm not sure if it was last year or the year before, but Teller sent in a box of random stuff to auction off. One of the items in it was actually a bus ticket from Las Vegas to Tuscon, and I the year before last, the folks at Fangamer actually raced the Desert Bus crew by starting their drive from Tuscon to Las Vegas at the same time the game started driving the route. They checked in via video chat along the way. The Desert Bus crew won the race, but lost by way of not being able to have a lightsaber fight with Darth Vader on the Vegas strip at the end of it.  :P

That said, I agree.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:40:31 pm »

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:05:26 am »

I stand corrected. The most boring game with a destination that can be reached within one human's lifetime, shall we say?