Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crises/Historical moments  (Read 1992 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Crises/Historical moments
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 10:54:34 am »

I would consider the loss of half the population to be a crisis. It might have been caused by stupidity/cruelity from above, but still.
Crisis, but not a famine. There's a difference.
Define "famine". I'd count any time half the population starves to death as a famine, regardless of cause.

The biggest problem is the computer deciding what a given event is and if it's worth recording.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:54 am »

I like this idea, I do get engravings of withered dwarves that died of starvation, which indirectly memorializes a famine. It should be reasonable for the game to link several similar events happening over a timeframe like a season or a year. The image refers to the VerbNoun Famine Winter 1052 or whatnot.

Then again, I suppose food shortages for individual little villages and towns are not quite what history would call a famine.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »

Perhaps a large number of deaths in a short time could be a 'disaster', large number of deaths with no food be 'famine', large number of deaths due to an army being 'battle', large number of deaths due to starvation during a battle being 'siege', large numbers of deaths due to a monster attack being 'slaughter' and large numbers of deaths due to drowning being 'flooding' (or, if it was in a river or lake, just 'drowning'). Lava or fire-related deaths could be 'burning', and a cave-in could be 'collapse'. Having the majority of the fort dying this way could involve the name changing ('crisis', 'great famine', 'war', 'great siege', 'great slaughter', 'great flooding', 'great drowning', 'great burning', 'great collapse'). This way, 90% of the fort dying of starvation when there's lots of food could be attributed to dwarven stupidity and be called 'The 504 Crisis of Despair'.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 09:15:36 pm »

I would consider the loss of half the population to be a crisis. It might have been caused by stupidity/cruelity from above, but still.
Crisis, but not a famine. There's a difference.
Define "famine". I'd count any time half the population starves to death as a famine, regardless of cause.

I define a famine as when the population starves to death and there's no food around. The Free Dictionary defines it as an "extreme food shortage". If half the population somehow starves to death or dies of thirst, but the food/alcohol supply is nowhere near crisis level, then I don't think it should be considered a famine/drought. A crisis, sure.

Pretty much what Eotryrannus said, actually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »

Ahh just like how in some countries there is plenty of food but a large portion of the population doesn't have access to it.

For example that country that privatized their water supply and it became too expensive for its citizens. They weren't having a drought just because its citizens didn't have water.  They had plenty of water just that they weren't allowed to drink any. (for those who wonders what happened they had a riot)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:31:12 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2]