Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going Postal (Community Game)  (Read 1085 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Going Postal (Community Game)
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:53:17 am »

Game world: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8010

Setup:
Fortress 1
Fortress 2
Adventurer

Fortress 1 played until Expedition Outfitter workshop is constructed, then retired (Profession of new adventurer becomes "<Fortressname> postdwarf".)
Fortress 2 played until the Fortress 1 Postdwarf arrives (Profession of new adventurer becomes "<Fortressname> postdwarf".)
postdwarf from Fortress 2 must travel back to Fortress 1, bearing items that symbolize messages. 
postdwarf may be outfitted with gear and recruit companions.
postdwarfs must deliver their packages to the Post Office (Expedition Outfitter workshop) or failing that, to the bookkeeper of the postdwarf's fortress.
Once the postdwarf has made his deliveries, he is retired at his home.

New fortresses can be added to the world, but each time a postdwarf arrives, that fortress must be retired with a postdwarf of their own and the arriving postdwarf returned to their home fortress bearing packages of items symbolising messages.

If a dwarven postdwarf dies, a 2x2 fortress must be built on that spot to reclaim the mail.  This fortress then becomes a waypoint for future postdwarfs, ensuring the mail is delivered.  A single bed, stockpile of prepared food and a group of trained fighters (or marksdwarves) are stationed here.  A new postdwarf is chosen to replace the dead one, renamed <fortress(of the dead postdwarf)> postdwarf" and the fortress retired.  This new postdwarf takes up the journey of the last one and the game goes on.

If a fortress has its own postdwarf arriving in a migrant wave, he will be assigned a nice room and left alone.  A fortress will only retire if a postdwarf from another fortress arrives.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:00:28 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Going Postal (Community Game)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:47:17 am »

Would have been more impressive if you built semaphore towers using cave-in mechanics, magma and minecarts.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Going Postal (Community Game)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:57:24 am »

I can see a system of semaphore towers being interesting.  Say, a 6 z-level tower with a control room in the 5th level and 4 levers (one for each wall) in front of 4 windows, each lever attached to a door facing the opposite direction on the 6th level, so that an operator will be able to read the flashes coming down the line and reveal/hide the bonfire on the 6th level...  I suppose a little shack next to a farm plot would be good for the pair of semaphore operators to live in.  Good idea!

I'm still building Fortress 1 - the few fortresses I've started all have succumbed to poor planning or tired 3am playing and have been abandoned.  I'm sure the next one will be the ringer.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii