- 5 (71.4%)
No!
- 0 (0%)
What is this I don't even...
- 1 (14.3%)
Why wouldn't it be a good idea?
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Massivebasements (Community or Succession Fortress)  (Read 1664 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Massivebasements (Community or Succession Fortress)
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:49 pm »

I'm going to be setting up a fortress either as a community game or succession fortress. If it is impossible to do this as a succession game, I will *attempt* to run it as a community fortress. If the succession prospects fall through, I can also provide an already-going fortress as a seed for a succession game (in another thread).

The fortress name is Zansongushat, "Massivebasements".
The group name is Zirilcerol, "The Fiery Lens".

Available Dwarves:
-Ast Asteldodók, Carpenter (and Chief Medical Dwarf)
-Udib Libashazin, Miner
-Lokum Mosusrithar, Miner
-Lokum ósrimtar, Mason
-Mosus Zonbokbon, Planter
-Dastot Enasineth, Mechanic

Prologue

One hundred years after the beginning of the new age, dwarves have settled many mountain ranges in The World of Dawns. The Singed Work is established in the south east of the world in a tropical region, spanning two mountain ranges, and ruled over by King Tulon Gusillaltur. The armies of The Singed Work are lead by the great general Zuglar Isonasmel. The mountain ranges are connected by a paved road network, but settlement has been confined to the mountains... until now...

Comment: The unit list is pretty impressive, we have several giant sponges present, hippos, alligators, and giant otters. There is a 10+ z-level waterfall present too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:30:30 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massivebasements (Community or Succession Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:12:10 pm »

Reserved post.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

destroctor51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »

hello CaptainArchmage =]
I'm somewhat new to DF, but I know my way around the game
never done a succession game, so I'd be really interested in participating in yours!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:00:05 pm »

hello CaptainArchmage =]
I'm somewhat new to DF, but I know my way around the game
never done a succession game, so I'd be really interested in participating in yours!

Wow, just wow. Brace yourself. This isn't an ordinary map. I've noticed an issue with the game running at an OK framerate and suddenly locking up at moments, it is very annoying, and I'd probably put it down as a bug tracker. It is, however, running faster than Moltenchannels, besides the horrible jitter. I can put up the save at the end of the year, or put you as the next player on Thundertraded (I'll need to put up a thread for that, its the fall-back game).

The Massivebasements map has giant sponges. Multiple giant sponges. There are also a lot of carp, giant otters, and giant owls.

I'm through Granite, at least.

Personal journal of CaptainArchmage, 1st Granite, 101

I've finally arrived at the new site. Seven of us from the Mountainhomes have been given a mission to establish a settlement upon the region to the south of the road connecting the two mountain ranges spanned by The Singed Work.

I've looked over the region. Its absolutely terrifying, the lands are classified as "untamed wilds" and we have 140 creatures in the nearby area! The stream is host to the likes of hippos, giant sponges, giant otters, giant everything! There are humanoid creatures with duck heads in there too! In the skies, there are some giant owls and other insects. Because of this I am ordering our miners to strike the earth, we cannot waste any time. As they go underground, the rest of us will make beds from the wood we brought along and gather the plants growing in the nearby area.

In terms of minerals, we have immediate access to limestone, which means we have access to steel. The stream has carved away a massive waterfall that goes through the sedimentary layers into the igneous rock, and that reveals a few veins of cassiterite. Given the abundance of tetrahedrite, we can therefore produce bronze as well. The reports indicated there were aquifers present, but I haven't seen any. They are likely either in the soil, or in the conglomerate layers to the south. Given the scale of the region, I recommend digging out our main fortress and then establishing a mining zone, connected to the main fortress by minecarts.

The region is heavily forested, so we could feasibly sustain our furnaces upon the trees. We will also have access to both clay and sand, which is a good thing.

CaptainArchmage's Monthly report, 1st Slate

As our miners dug straight through about seven levels of limestone and hit phyllite, so I am convinced our location is not host to an aquifer. The shaft was dug between three small hills, which can serve as a defence point. We have not, surprisingly, come under attack by the local wildlife, though one of the carp in the stream was attacked by a giant owl before falling down the waterfall.

We have underground food storage and a place to sleep. Our miners are going to continue expanding the settlement to provide housing.

The map is special because it is a 16x16. On a windows computer, you will probably need the Large Address Aware patch to play it without crashing the game. At the current FPS rate, it would be playable at the level of most developed succession games (i.e. Moltenchannels) and more playable than advanced succession games such as the Battlefailed series, however, there are a large number of lag spikes. I will try to turn off temperature and weather and see what happens then.

About the Alternative, the Thundertraded map is a 3x5 map, which is one region tile smaller than the default embark (15 rather than 16 tiles), and is reaching the end of its second year. It is established in the same world as Massivebasements, and it would be handed over on 1st Granite 103.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:26:18 pm by CaptainArchmage »

destroctor51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

seems great to me! but how is this going to work?
each one of us play one year, post a journal and send the save to the next in line?
are there any other player and rules I might not be aware of?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »

seems great to me! but how is this going to work?
each one of us play one year, post a journal and send the save to the next in line?
are there any other player and rules I might not be aware of?

The usual rules are:
-You play one week of real time or one year of in-game time, whichever comes first.
-No deliberate destruction of the fortress.
-Unless there's a good reason for the fortress to fall, if the fortress does fall the game reverts to a previous save.
-Confirmation time of 48 hours to show that you have got the message. This is to reduce time loss in case of absence.
-You may skip your turn, in which case your turn is shoved down one slot.
-Use of DFhack to change things in the game should be justified. This means if you need to fix migrants, or spawn magma to plug an ocean draining into an aquifer, or clean a really excessive number of contaminants off the map, go ahead and do it (these count as either fixing legitimate bugs, or preventing the game becoming unplayable because of framerate issues). There may be other hacks that would be considered justified or even required, such as multi-species migrant hacks or the DFhack steam engine plugin.
-The host of the game usually decides the mods that are used in the game, because the host usually generates the world and the raws determine what you find in the world. These mods are usually changes to the raws to include extra civilisations, extra metals, extra creatures and wildlife, or extra nobles. In some games, a decision may be made to have some reactions changed during gameplay (which is possible).

My variant of the rules would provide for extension of playing time in case of dropping framerate as the fortress goes ahead, and the ability to finish your turn at a time other than spring of the following year.

destroctor51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:39 pm »

so.. I guess you gave up on the game, huh?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:35 pm »

Seems like 16x16 is huge.  5x5 would still allow for some pretty large basements.  :-X

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:58:37 pm »

Seems like 16x16 is huge.  5x5 would still allow for some pretty large basements.  :-X

This. There is actually a problem with the game locking up every few seconds, while otherwise running along at about 30 FPS. We'll either have to switch to Thundertraded or make a new map, but before that I also have another succession game commitment to deal with. I'll keep this thread posted.

destroctor51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »

got it.. I'll be waiting then!

Dwarven War Boar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:48:26 am »

This won't work with a 16x16 map. As soon as you've dug a small area out and have more than 20 dwarves on screen at a time the FPS will self destruct, you're already noticing the problems now.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:32 am »

This won't work with a 16x16 map. As soon as you've dug a small area out and have more than 20 dwarves on screen at a time the FPS will self destruct, you're already noticing the problems now.

Actually, the FPS problems happened right on embark. I originally thought the trouble came from running water, but further testing showed with other maps showed otherwise. Something just overloads and causes the simulation to lock up every ten seconds or so.

destroctor51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:16:21 pm »

dude, it's been a month.. are we still doing this?