Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Dwarf Coloration  (Read 1834 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Dwarf Coloration
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello all,

I just recently started playing DF again, and am trying to get used to the new things in DF2012.  Anyway, I noticed that this particular dwarf is oddly colored when I highlight him, and also that his labor has a black box around it, unlike others (second half of the pic is highlighted on a different dwarf for reference, as well as to show how his name looks otherwise).  I am not sure if this is a bug, so I don't want to post it in the bug forum if it is related to one of the new types of dwarfs (vampire, necromancer, etc) or otherwise intended.

So, does anyone know what this is?

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Dwarf Coloration
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:49:44 am »

Is he appointed to a position like manager or maybe in the military?
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:02 am »

Well, i'm pretty sure that it's not going to be an indicator of your "Farmer" being a vampire or a necromancer, but be sure to check him for the signs of vampireness - greatly above average skills, not eating, not sleeping, no happiness modification from eating or sleeping, and so forth. If you see these, consider walling him off or arranging an "unfortunate accident".

If you've seen some undead rising since this guy came, be sure to internalize your corpse stockpiles. Necromancers can sometimes sneak in like kobold thiefs, but as far as I know, I don't think they can pretend to be part of your fortress.

It might just be a graphical error. Any modding or version stuff we should know?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »

The koala up there forgot the best test for vampirism: Almost all vampires will have a whole screen full of 'Former member of Cola Fiends; former member of Great Axepores; former member of The Springy Flatulence; etc. etc. etc.' because they have a tendency to get forced out or flee from site to site.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

Is he appointed to a position like manager or maybe in the military?

No, I don't have a manager yet and he isn't in the military.

Quote from: dwarfkoala
Well, i'm pretty sure that it's not going to be an indicator of your "Farmer" being a vampire or a necromancer, but be sure to check him for the signs of vampireness - greatly above average skills, not eating, not sleeping, no happiness modification from eating or sleeping, and so forth. If you see these, consider walling him off or arranging an "unfortunate accident".

If you've seen some undead rising since this guy came, be sure to internalize your corpse stockpiles. Necromancers can sometimes sneak in like kobold thiefs, but as far as I know, I don't think they can pretend to be part of your fortress.

It might just be a graphical error. Any modding or version stuff we should know?

One of his thoughts is that he ate, so I don't think he's a vampire, but I can double check.  Also, it's apparent from the screenshot but I am using DFHack, I didn't want to bother downloading the vanilla version to test this if it was a known bug or not a bug, but that may be what I need to do.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:47 pm »

One of his thoughts is that he ate, so I don't think he's a vampire, but I can double check.  Also, it's apparent from the screenshot but I am using DFHack, I didn't want to bother downloading the vanilla version to test this if it was a known bug or not a bug, but that may be what I need to do.
The eating thought is a guarantee that he is not a vampire (same with drinking and sleeping thoughts).  It could just be a one-time graphical glitch, see if it is still there after exiting DF and running it again.  There are also a lot of variables: DFHack, Mac, any mods -- including graphics packs (although, it looks like vanilla graphics) -- maybe interference from other software on the machine.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »

DFHack is a separate program from Dwarf Fortress (though it does open DF automatically when launched). You can still launch vanilla DF by finding the .exe in your DF folder (or through other more complicated methods on other OSes).
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:32 pm »

Separate or not, it modifies DF, so it still is a potential source of oddness.  (Proof is right in the screenshot, "l: Manage labors (DFHack) s: Search".)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »

Check his military skills. I bet his skill in weapon X is higher than his farming skills.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »

For some reason, dwarves with the "Attend Meeting" job are highlighted differently. Same for "Noble" or "Soldier" jobs. I don't know why, or what kind of meeting is he attending. It should go away once he's back to farming.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »

For some reason, dwarves with the "Attend Meeting" job are highlighted differently. Same for "Noble" or "Soldier" jobs. I don't know why, or what kind of meeting is he attending. It should go away once he's back to farming.

Thanks for the answer, I tried with normal DF and have the same thing.  He's trying to meet with the expedition leader, or at least I assume he is because he's following him around.  The expedition leader thinks picking flowers is more important though (to be fair, there aren't a lot of plants on the map so booze is in short supply, so I suppose it is).

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:56:58 am »

Separate or not, it modifies DF, so it still is a potential source of oddness.  (Proof is right in the screenshot, "l: Manage labors (DFHack) s: Search".)

I was more referring to this:

I didn't want to bother downloading the vanilla version to test this

and pointing out that he already has the "vanilla version" and wouldn't have to download anything. DFHack doesn't permanently modify vanilla DF: it modifies on a per-launch basis. Nam could open vanilla DF to check the coloring there, if he's concerned about third-party applications affecting it, without having to download or install anything new; he already has the original executable somewhere.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

I was more referring to this:

I didn't want to bother downloading the vanilla version to test this

and pointing out that he already has the "vanilla version" and wouldn't have to download anything. DFHack doesn't permanently modify vanilla DF: it modifies on a per-launch basis. Nam could open vanilla DF to check the coloring there, if he's concerned about third-party applications affecting it, without having to download or install anything new; he already has the original executable somewhere.

I actually went ahead and tried it with the vanilla version packaged with DF and got the same problem.  It appears that it's a known bug though, so it's probably not worth pursuing.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »

edit: nvm
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »

No idea where the coloration comes from, but a normal fort denizen taking the 'attend meeting' job means they're deeply unhappy, close to tantrumming/going insane. Better take your expedition leader off herbalism duty for a while: not getting the chance to air one's grievances can make a dwarf even unhappier.