Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampirism in captives?  (Read 365 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Vampirism in captives?
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:12 am »

So, I got my first vampire today.  He killed my legendary cook and a legendary weaponsmith before I found him, so I was...annoyed.

I dropped him in a pit, and threw down goblins to him.  He dismantled the first three quite easily, but I'd disarmed them before pitting.  The next three were left armed, and he crushed the first two.  The third seemed to be avoiding him and for a while it was only the odd attack and dodge.

I returned some time later to see how he was doing, and noticed he was now dead, the last goblin had bashed his brains in with a silver maul.  Some time earlier in the combat, the vampire bit the goblin, shook him around, and later the bite was broken.  So, do I now have a goblin VAMPIRE on my hands?  I need to know before I send in the unprepared militia to deal with an armed, trained, and potentially vampiric threat.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Vampirism in captives?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:56:21 am »

So far as I'm aware, vampire-ism is only passed through blood. Lycanthropy however is passed through bites.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:12 am »

Unless the goblin somehow managed to drink the vampire's blood, then it is not a vampire.
The only way to get a vampire is to drink vampire blood, or drink water contaminated with vampire blood. Bites will not do it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:04 am »

before anyone suggests it, yes, vampire forts are feasible and have been done. Migrants are welcomed with a celebratory feast and comments like "fresh blood from the mountainhomes to strengthen this outpost, eh?"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

before anyone suggests it, yes, vampire forts are feasible and have been done. Migrants are welcomed with a celebratory feast and comments like "fresh blood from the mountainhomes to strengthen this outpost, eh?"
Should you wish to run one of these in earnest it is usually a good idea to add a syndrome to dwarven blood that removes the [NO_DRINK] token when the blood is drunk though. That way your dwarven vampires don't all end up slowing down from not drinking alcohol until nobody is really doing anything at all due to their extremely slow speeds.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.