Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Flash] Obsolecence - Radial bullet hell...  (Read 1474 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
[Flash] Obsolecence - Radial bullet hell...
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:45:04 pm »

... of doom!

Anyway the odd gem to appear in newgrounds, a very cool take on the giant-boss-and-bullet-hell genre, where the boss is radial, and your "ship" flies around it in a circle.
Starts easy but soon it gets very tricky. Controls aren't so good, but I really like the approach.

Clicky me!
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Flash] Obsolecence - Radial bullet hell...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:30 pm »

I like it! 76k, not bad.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:07:00 pm »

I got 88,000 points, losing all 3 of my lives to the same boss.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:18:08 pm »

+1

This is neat. Don't think it has a lot of replay value, but definitely worth a playthrough.

78,600 on first attempt

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »

Huh. Pretty awesome. Kind of short though.

Also, there's just something about how the visuals work out that make me feel like the ships you're fighting against in a given stage was the ship you piloted earlier, just powered up.

Edit: Oh hey, "Defeat the enormous mechanical beasts-- and become one of them." Yep!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:49:57 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:21 am »

44200, I am not very good at bullet hells. :L Cool idea, though. I find it interesting that you can knock off the boss's weapons. It's pretty useful, actually.

EDIT: Second attempt, 77700! Lost two lives to the very boss in the OP picture, then lost my final life to the one after that.
EDIT EDIT: Game, how you score? :V Third attempt 78900. Lost to the same boss, but lost lives earlier. :V?

Also, Aoi, did you notice that the bosses's core shield thing becomes the border of the next battleground? Maybe you're going DEEPER INTO THE MACHINE! Or...something.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I hate the lives system. So much. Gaaaaaaaaaah. Why can't dying just take off of your score instead?!?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:55:32 am by Twi »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:20 pm »

I generally find the best strategy is to carve out a safe spot and just stay in there.

I'm not sure how scoring works-- in something like this, I'd've made it time-based, but I don't think it is.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

I generally find the best strategy is to carve out a safe spot and just stay in there.
Ehehe, once you've managed that it's pretty much won. ('cept for the single-laser boss, since its weapons rotate all over the place.) The problem becomes getting to that point. The eight boss in particular is pretty brutal: there's just so little room to maneuver and try to avoid all the bullets, and since the weapons are shielded, it'd take far too long to get rid of them. I've never beaten that one. The fact that I'm always down at least one life by that point doesn't help.

On a related note, this game could really use some mercy invulnerability after being hit. As it is, you can die pretty much instantly.

I'm not sure how scoring works-- in something like this, I'd've made it time-based, but I don't think it is.
From the 'Destroy All Parts' achievement, I guessed it might be based on how many parts you blow up, but I can't say if that's true, either.

Could be how much damage you take, I s'ppose.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »

Ehehe, once you've managed that it's pretty much won. ('cept for the single-laser boss, since its weapons rotate all over the place.) The problem becomes getting to that point. The eight boss in particular is pretty brutal: there's just so little room to maneuver and try to avoid all the bullets, and since the weapons are shielded, it'd take far too long to get rid of them. I've never beaten that one. The fact that I'm always down at least one life by that point doesn't help.

That one's not too bad as long as you don't get tagged by the lasers (which, if you haven't noticed, coincide with every other radial line). Just follow the same turret (which means you'll have to move through the laser's path...) and you should be able to destroy it in two "cycles". Take out the one next to it for a bit more room,  and you should be able to destroy a laser in one or two cycles. Or, just try to aim past the laser and hit the core directly.

Uh. Or did I get the number wrong? (Personally, my least favorite is the one after that... I regularly my extra lives on it. In comparison, I can GET to it without taking a hit. ><)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:34:36 pm by Aoi »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:17:32 pm »

Managed to make it to the eighth boss (it is the one with the six lasers right? ) without losing a single life, only to be mowed down in less than 10 seconds.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »

What Djohaal said.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

Tried it a few more times-- if you aim at a turret right from the start, you should be able to get it about halfway down before the shields get into position. After the first time it stops moving, you can punch a hole through the shield. (Aim towards the left side, so the hole doesn't rotate to the back.) By the time it stops again, you can destroy it (if you couldn't keep a bead on it while moving). Depending on the timing and how you were focusing, you should be able to drop a laser or a turretshield by the next time it stops. Once there's an opening of two spaces, it's pretty easy since all that's left is the lasers (which you can destroy instead of targeting the core).

The main thing is that unless you're ridiculously good at dodging between shots enough to sandpaper down all the turrets and their respective shields, you'll have to dodge the laser shots.

Tip for the next level (9?): Try to avoid hitting the things that look like 8s. I recommend edging right up against the lasers and destroying them to get rid of the attached turrets.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:55:46 pm by Aoi »