Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven delayed reaction time- a bug, or just a pest?  (Read 1127 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven delayed reaction time- a bug, or just a pest?
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

-The first part is a story! The second part is a question following up the story, you can choose to skip it if you dont like cool stories

So there we were, 15 goblin archers led by a goblin macelord had entirely infilitrated the main center of our city, and were having a large skirmish with the humans that had come to trade. The smart dwarves had gone to sleep, and were hiding in their locked rooms as the battle raged on, and some were hiding in the large building that made up the residential area which was behind the humans, and thus, also safe. But one dwarf among them, the Countess her self, decided she wasn't going to stand for the outside area being forbidden anymore- she was going to get that drink.

So she climbed up the stairs to the topside, dead center in the middle of the crossfire, and started to take a few steps before the 'outside being forbidden' kicked in, she came to her senses, but it was too late. The goblins picked her off very quickly, and she dropped her baby on to the ground. Amazingly enough, the baby crawled from her arrow-ridden mother, back down the staircase, and remainded below ground for the remainder of the fight.

-End of story

Question: Is there any way to keep dwarves from walking outside, besides doors, when they choose to ignore the "all dwarves forbidden from outside" order is given? They always ignore it, take a few steps outside, and THEN remember the order. Problem is, thats more than enough for the REASON for the order having been given, to kill them.

Actually im glad that the countess was the only casualty of the battle, she was a bad mother. Her first daughter she left for dead when a goblin snatcher tried to snatch her; when the goblin was detected, it was in the countess' room, and her child was there with her, so i locked the door, thinking "goblin thieves are pansies, i'm sure the countess will defend her daughter at least until i can get a real soldier up there (9th floor up)". So instead of running like all goblin thieves do when they are detected, it cut the child's chest open, and i tried opening the door for it so it would leave before the child died- as soon as it was open, the countess ran away and left her daughter for dead. And now, she ran into a goblin firing squad while holding her BABY, so, good riddens i say.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven delayed reaction time- a bug, or just a pest?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Set up your fortress so all the entrances are right along the border of inside/outside, and build a door or bridge there.

When they're inside, lock the door or raise the bridge.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by xzzy:
<STRONG>Set up your fortress so all the entrances are right along the border of inside/outside, and build a door or bridge there.

When they're inside, lock the door or raise the bridge.</STRONG>

See, there are workarounds for all this crap, but it would be wonderful if you didn't have to spend time making a workaround...

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

'Dwarves stay indoors' is so broken that I just don't use it anymore.  Apart from the dwarves taking jobs they can't get to without going outside, and their only realizing this after a few steps outside, they also flee their perfectly safe indoor bedrooms that are above-ground.

One way to keep your population safe is to make the entrance corridor U-turn so that there's no LOS from outside to inside, then build a retracting bridge over the base of the U so that dwarves can't go tease the goblins.  Put the trade depot outside this setup.  At the first sign of trouble, isolate your fortress, using the traders as bait for the goblin armies to get into crossbow range.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>

See, there are workarounds for all this crap, but it would be wonderful if you didn't have to spend time making a workaround...</STRONG>

Then put it in the suggestions forum, this is the gameplay forum.  ;)

There are ways around the problem, and plus, where's the fun if you don't lose a dwarf to their own stupidity once in a while?

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Normally i'd agree that if they are so... special... as to walk out into a hail of gunfire from a goblin firing squad; so be it, they get what they deserve for being that... special. But when it happens to amazingly good furnace operators, smiths, mayors, and dwarves i otherwise would be greatly happy to have, i can't allow their own... special-ness...to get them killed. Also, if you think about it, they all operate under the same AI designs which means they are all equally plausible to make the .. special.. mistakes they make, whether they are important dwarves or not.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

I haven't gotten a bridge design to work for me yet, as 4 or 5 dwarves are hovering around the entrance trying to pick up the clothes of a dwarf who didn't quite make it inside in time. I didn't want to compound the problem by fligifying my own dwarves.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

I recommend putting a long hallway outside of the fortress using constructed walls/floors. Then you put the door at the end of the hallway, and lock that. that   way dwarves don't wander straight into enemies when they try to do outside jobs. Also, I've found that my dwarves will stop trying to go outside once all the paths are missing, so once everyone's in, lock the doors.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG> But when it happens to amazingly good...mayors</STRONG>

I'm confused.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

Y'know, the kind that has a fascination with barrels.  Or iron.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:44:00 am »

Hi!

Goblin sieges are a very tricky thing. I haven't had one in 3d yet (updates too quickly for that), but the problem I noticed in 2d seems to be still around:

The goblins are cheating!

If you lock all doors into your fortresses, the goblins will NOT move towards your fortress but instead wait wherever they are - so the siege will never come to a conclusion.

The one thing you should do is deactivate all hauling jobs for your most important dwarves.

Also forbid all loot out there, cancel all outside jobs (fell trees designations, hunting). Deactivate all farmers (remove their farming (field) labor and set farms to be harvested by farmers only). set refuse orders to ignore outside refuse.

It is a lot of work, but this should help minimize the casualties.

I also recommend not to use fortifications in any part of the main fortress. Especially having fortifications around the main entrance is a really bad idea.

If there is an adult dwarf you really, really wish to protect, draft her and station her somewhere in the bowels of the fortress far awat from the invaders.

That is all advice I can give you. Hopefully, it is helpful.

Deathworks