Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isolation  (Read 385 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Isolation
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

Is it possible during embark to put yourself on an island with no other dwarven civilizations so you don't get migrants/caravans?
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isolation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »

Yes, be very careful in what you bring with you in your wagon, and make sure your dwarfs don't get injured doing something stupid with mining though!

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »

Wiki says only your parent civ can trade and I believe migrants will still come.

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »

You have to make an embark so it is completely surrounded by water on all sides in your fortress screen (not an easy feat).  The wiki page is referring to a (larger) island as seen on the world gen map.  Which is to say, its an island and you have no neighbors, but your embark has land going all the way to the map edge in at least one spot.  That will allow the caravans and migrants to spawn.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:12:28 pm »

You can look into several threads on world-gen values for making small islands, but they don't fit into small embarks. I've built a crappy one from scratch because I couldn't generate a very small island. There is a save in the thread linked from my sig and some info on building islands.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:32 pm »

If you get frustrated genning a map surrounded on all sides with water, perhaps you could try DFHacking a channel on the outer edges. I don't know if the game would take the hint though...