Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utilising Lava  (Read 514 times)

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utilising Lava
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:54:46 am »

Ok, so i've built a world with a ton of volcanoes, i've set up next to on e with a nice big forest with exposed gold ^^ but I dont wanna lost the fortress to a lava flood xP its my first time dealing with lava and only second time with liquids at all, how do I go about this?

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: Utilising Lava
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:13 am »

Ok. First off, hit the Wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Go for liquids and pumps and learn. keep the rules in mind and you should be good. otherwise just mine in and experiment.

That always works out well.  :D
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Utilising Lava
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

If you're underground it's magma, above is lava.

Dealing with magma is a relatively safe task. It's not pressurized, so I consider it safer than water. It can occasionally house some dangerous critters. If you're pumping it/using traps you'll need magma safe materials, otherwise you may just have those accidents. Iron is the most handy and easiest for this, but some stones are magma safe as well. It's all on the wiki, and don't worry if you doom your dwarves to a molten death. To become one with magma is the final wish of every dwarf.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.