Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help finding low-spec games!!!  (Read 4344 times)

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding low-spec games!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:32 am »

You think that's bad, I'd call that laptop an upgrade for what I have now. Anyways,

Some RPGs that I really like:
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (IWD2 definitely has the worst story) and Planescape: Torment. They all look and play fairly similarly since they were all made or published by Black Isle Studios. If you do end up going for the BG series, there is a mod that allows you to play 1 with 2's engine. Heck, there's a ton of mods for all those games with both bugfixes and additional content, but nothing that you would need to worry about on the first playthrough.
Some others include Fallout 1 & 2 and Knights of the Old Republic. Mind you, all but KOTOR are older, isometric stuff, if that's something you passionately love or hate.

When you say FPS, do you literally mean FIRST-PERSON shooters, or just shooters? Some 1st/3rd person actiony goodness I've had include:
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Armed & Dangerous, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Half-Life and most definitely Deus Ex.

This is probably the best list of games as all of them are fantastic games and should run on your specs no problem

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:29:52 am »

Remember to update your drivers to squeeze a few more precious frames per second out of your computer.

For some games you might have to roll you drivers back. In general take the year your computer model was released and subtract 5. You should be able to play most games before that year.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »

Starfarer (altho it's currently alpha) if you like top down space shooters.
Act of War: Direct Action is a very fun modern RTS game that somehow lost to C&C Generals.
Sins of a solar empire (RTS and 4X mixup.)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »

The Intel GPU is really the big limiting factor.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:57 am »

Is he on an Intel GPU, though? I'd assume so, but we're not really sure (though you may have looked up his PC's specs).

Additionally, if he was on the Intel HD 4000 he's actually got little to worry about. That thing is amazing. I was shocked when I found out my laptop could handle games like Skyrim without any issues at all (apparently it was optimized specifically for Skyrim).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:24 am »

The ORIGINAL Call of Duty games.  CoD 1 and 2 were actually pretty neat games, and the first one actually ran on my netbook from 2009.  Also, arcanum is a pretty neat Steampunk RPG and the original torchlight should run without a hitch.   

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 09:48:38 am »

Duke Nukem 3d was one of the best FPS of all time, and even though it looks dated - it is still a lot of fun (provided you aren't terrible at FPS)
Deus Ex  and Deus Ex: Invisible war are both excellent RPG/FPS hybrids - even though Deus Ex 2 gets a lot of flack for a lackluster story compared to the first, it's still worthwhile.
Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines is a fantastic game providing you can stomach the setting (spoiler : your character is a vampire). Just make sure to install all the fan made patches, because even the steam version is buggy as hell.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:26 am »

Battle for Wesnoth is a nice turn based strategy with a decent competitive community online. Very low graphics. Civ 2 is a classic, probably the best in the franchize and easy to run on an old computer.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »

I think you should be able to run Stronghold 1 and Stronghold Crusader on an integrated GPU. Medieval RTS for the win. I can also recommend Knights and Merchants. That, and Settlers 2 via Dosbox.

These are all available at www.gog.com by the way.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 01:47:38 am »

I am surprised nobody mentioned this before, but there is a whole roughly four hour long series on youtube going through a huge list of different low spec pc games. Many of these games are gundam and fan games(as well as some My little pony, which you may or may not be a fan of) and these often fill maybe 25% of the content but he still provides a rather long list of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WackyModder84

He only talks about 2d and doom esque graphics, some others i would recommend

-all the quakes save maybe enemy territory(because it is somewhat new)
-Doom 1-3
-Wolfenstein Enemy territory
-DOSbox in general

I hope i helped
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click
Pages: 1 [2]