Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After a winter of starvation...  (Read 597 times)

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
After a winter of starvation...
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:33:00 am »

My fortress really is suffering right now from a major food shortage. Since the wiki doesn't really go into detail on any other methods other than farming, can anyone give me some tips on this?

Also, when you cook a meal, what is the point? Does it give you more eatable items, or is the meal simply more satisfying? I know that one advantage is that you can cook some inedible items into a meal. What about lavish meals; can you have 4 of the same item cooked up or must they be different items?

I also heard of some kind of herbalist trick that people use, but I can't figure it out. So anyway, thanks in advance for the help. My dwarves will appreciate it.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: After a winter of starvation...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

Extra food can be obtained in 4 other "major" ways:
1) Fishing -> Give a dwarf the Fishing job and he will fish. Some seafood needs to be processed at a fishery before it is edible. Turtles give you shell to use in crafting.
2) Herbalism -> Give a dwarf the job and then 'd'esignate shrubs to be gathered (shrubs are the little '"' symbols), some of the shrubs are edible (mostly after cooking), some can be brewed.
3) Hunting -> Give a dwarf the job and watch as he dies at the tusks of a herd of elephants. Hunting is not a very good idea at the moment, but if you really want to do it then go ahead. IIRC you have to have the hunter kill something, then drag the corpse back to a stockpile or the butcher's workshop, butcher the corpse and then you get body parts (meat/skin/bones/fat/skulls), the meat can be cooked for food, the fat can be turned to tallow which can also be cooked.
4) Herding -> Not really a job, but if you have enough horses/dogs/cats/cows/someothertameanimal that keep breeding, you can slaughter a few and process them for food (in a similar way to hunting). Some forts can have hundreds of tame animals if you get lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it), so can sometimes be made reliant solely on this herding technique.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

quote:
Since the wiki doesn't really go into detail on any other methods other than farming,

That's because the other methods are so simple that there's not much to say about them. I'll go and look into it anyway.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>

That's because the other methods are so simple that there's not much to say about them. I'll go and look into it anyway.</STRONG>

Fishing and Hunting have their own pages. Herbalism is under Plant Gathering, and I don't really know what to search for in order to find herding.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 09:35:00 am »

Try "Livestock". I've slightly modified that article, and added a "The way of the herbalist" paragraph to plant gathering.

I have contributed much to the "Agriculture" section of the Wiki, and have a high personal interest in it being useful. Expect some structural changes in the near future.

TomTheHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

As far as the point of cooking goes, see the wiki: Kitchen

Basically, it lets you consolidate food into large stacks, makes inedible items edible, and can make dwarves happier (prepared meals have a quality rating, and better meals make dwarves happier).

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

Thanks, this is all a good bit of help to me.