Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mmhmm...  (Read 1006 times)

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mmhmm...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

I normally use a moderate stockpile near my workshops so there alwaysd stone nearby and I just leave the rest where it falls it can be hauled as it's used. It's a bit annoying when there's a rock holding a door open though.

Nekura

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Dang, I was hoping there was some sort of path clearing that didn't involve walking all the way back to a pile  ;) Thanks for the input, I guess I'll just live with the mess, and that's saying alot for me =p
quot;What?" - Jack O''Neill

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

I used to make HUGE stone piles but it ended up killing all other work in the fortress. So people like you and me have to live with this junk lying around the fort. Very sad  :(

I think the only things you'd want moved would be ore and gems, because you don't want your metalsmiths walking all the way to the mine where the magma men live just to pick up a piece of ore. Better to let peasants risk that and carry it back to a centralized pile (which I usually keep between the chasm and the magma river).

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

Meh, I don't mind a few dwarves hauling stone, so what I do is build a small stockpile, about 20-30 stones worth near my masons and mechanics.  Usually only 2 or 3 haulers keep it full, and eventually stones will be cleared from the area.  I set it to grey stone only.  I also set a smaller one for light and dark stones too, but since I don't use those very often, no extra hauling is usually required.

One note is, I keep the obsidian and limestone out of that pile, and away from the masons.  This way they automatically choose the less used light stones when I need to build a mandated item, and if I need a specific one of them, then I just disallow that type, and build another pile somewhere to take from that pile, that way, the easiest stone available to the mason is the one mandated.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

as per cleaning up: if a job (building a fishery ex.) needs stone even if stone hauling is turned off they will grab the one and haul it to the fishery site to make it... so what I do is turn off stone hauling on all but my dedicated haulers, then make massive stone storage outside the fort... nice clean fort after a few years of no digging.
Pages: 1 [2]