Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HackWars  (Read 3917 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: HackWars
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »

Thanks to quinnr for telling me how I was being too overprotective of my attacker port once I'd finished punching the npc port.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:14 am »

Bleh.
I ran out of money from healing my attacker instead of getting more money to get that cpu upgrade finally because the one you start with gives you so very little overhead to spare on letting things get beatup a bit. Any tips besides waiting for daily pay to pop-in?

Same here. I need some tips there, too.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:05 am »

I take it the website is safe ? I'm always really wary with java stuff, even more so since java is still horribly broken and flawed still
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 06:46:43 am »

I take it the website is safe ? I'm always really wary with java stuff, even more so since java is still horribly broken and flawed still

Yeah, it's been fine for me, no issues.
Bleh.
I ran out of money from healing my attacker instead of getting more money to get that cpu upgrade finally because the one you start with gives you so very little overhead to spare on letting things get beatup a bit. Any tips besides waiting for daily pay to pop-in?

I'll put some basic tips together this afternoon for the OP. Basically, keep your port manager open, and if your bank is attacked after attacking an NPC, attack their attack port and overheat them. Also make sure to keep some cash in the bank. Also, get a basic firewall as soon as you can.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:48:47 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:55 am »

Bleh.

Heres the tip I got from Quinnr: NPCs can't do anything to your attack port except knock it down for a moment, and it only overheats if you're attacking with it. So theres no need to constantly heal the port after you've gotten what you wanted out of the npc unless you need it to overheat the bank attacker immediately.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 09:41:32 am »

...oh, except for the fact that everyone's being secretly "cloudsourced" together in order to hack the Pentagon/Chinese Military/Google/one rather annoyed beautician in Milan who is just trying to set up a website for her salon that doesn't look like too much like Geocities*.

Mind you, as that's what's being done (albeit in a more obscure and abstracted manner) when you play Dwarf Fortress, I wouldn't let that put you off. ;)

HTH, HAND.

[* - delete as inapplicable]

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:10 am »

...oh, except for the fact that everyone's being secretly "cloudsourced" together in order to hack the Pentagon/Chinese Military/Google/one rather annoyed beautician in Milan who is just trying to set up a website for her salon that doesn't look like too much like Geocities*.

Mind you, as that's what's being done (albeit in a more obscure and abstracted manner) when you play Dwarf Fortress, I wouldn't let that put you off. ;)

HTH, HAND.

[* - delete as inapplicable]

That post was not really needed having asked a valid question.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 10:22:25 am »

Apologies, I thought I'd made it sufficiently OTT.  (Oh, and hey, look... a smiley!)

Seriously: Insofar as any website is safe[1] I thought the reassurance had already[2] been made.

[1] Java, ActiveX, Javascript, etc, and even just pure wetware-hacking of the person browsing it, there are so many subtle ways that legitimate web-tech can be subverted.  Mitigated, of course, by your usual contingent of antimalware scanners, default "Are you sure?" settings (at least until they get annoying and you auto-click them) and just paying attention...

[2] Maybe not.  I'm sure I had seen an "It's Ok" post from someone when I originally replied, but can't see it now in a brief scan of the Topic Summary while I'm editing this.  Yet more apologies if I was hallucinating that.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:25 am »

Here's another tip: When you get more ports (or if you already have many free ports), as well as more CPU, turn on extra attack and bank ports, and set them to default and dummy (2 checkmarks on the right of the port on port management window). The NPCs seem to have a preference for attacking those ports. Not sure if they need to be "before" your actual ports (that is, have a lower number) to encourage the NPCs to attack, as it's been ages since I set up my current ports and don't remember the exact reasoning I went through.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »

Okay, if you go into the chat box, click Change AutoJoin Channels, and hit "Add New Row", and then type in "bay12", you can join our awesome chat channel!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 [2]