Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Post flooding quantum items  (Read 1648 times)

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post flooding quantum items
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »

It's not the littering that bothers me, it's the inefficiency of have to go through the entire stocks screen to locate the items and unforbidding+(re)dumping entire categories rather than just single items (some of those items could be outside, miles away from the stockpile because their previous owner was eaten by bears). The ideal outcome would be to end up with a single, visible pile of forbidden loot under the DAS for easy manual sorting and disposal.

[...]

I found that I can still mass designate these hidden items.  A simple solutions is to reclaim the affect area, while setting a local stockpile to accept everything that could possibly be there.  The quatum solution is to reclaim/dump the items and set a local dump zone active to accept them.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »

To get useful items from the caravans I usually Claim and Dump all the items being worn by the Merchants, Guards and Diplomats, I have a garbage zone right next to my Depot or even on top of the Depot, and I repay them for their worn items by giving extra profit with my goods during trading, for each Guard I pay extra 2500, and for Merchants and Diplomats I pay extra 1500, this way I get extra items which I can easily pay for with wooden spiked balls and/or roasts and the next caravan still brings more stuff and more Guards and more Merchants.
Having a carpenter working non-stop on wooden spiked balls and a cook on roasts from day 1 of the embark you can easily buy out the Dwarven and the Elvish Caravans, and it's a rolling snowball from there on.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »

Well, I've had the chance to try a few suggestions\ideas;-
1. The Ballista(s);- Hit and miss. I had to try this on the humans due to the dwarf caravan skipping the bridge and attempting a river crossing into some wildlife. I was hoping that targets would be slammed clear of the depot, but most dropped dead inside. Coupled with the inability to hit the broadside of a barn at point blank and the cost of munitions, I don't think it's really viable or fast enough.

2. Pumping the water out;- Items still move and go missing, I didn't notice any improvement over using a single drain. 1 marksdwarf did get washed through the fortifications+bars blocking the drainage channel and escaped somehow.

3. The air lure;- Too time sensitive, Urist Mcleverphobe needs to open access to the air chamber just as the water level reaches the drowning point. I did have some success opening the air chamber in advance and using the waterflow to shove the still living merchants&guards out of the depot. Some items were still in the depot, however that might be due to the 'Get out of my depot' system killing its target rather than just wounding it.

Unfortunately I can't attempt to freeze them in my current biome. I'll try that with my next embark.
Claim and dump isn't really in the spirit of it. I'm a fan of multipurpose traps really. Steel, flux, and hatred of the dwarvern leadership caste is the current motivation, but it never hurts to have something you can use on elves and humans too.

Washing them out of the depot into a side room\DAS seems to work well enough even with a 1x5 room (although size is less of an issue providing they finish under the DAS). It's just getting the water out. Maybe a fork shaped room along the lines of;

X___B0
X_0000
X___B0
X_0000
X___B0

X:Floodgates
0:Wall
_:Empty
B:Retractable bridge over a pit

If they're forced back over the pit, then I can dump them into 1x1 rooms to drain the water without any room for items to move into quantum space, then drop them again into a room containing the DAS. Resulting in 3 nice clean piles of items to pick through and no need for mass designating (and thus no hauling trash). If that works I could even scale it up, with stops added for the smelters, crypts, and stockpiles, before finally dumping everything that's left into the trash compactor.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:27 pm »

Coupled with the inability to hit the broadside of a barn at point blank

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot that ballistae in this version are like squeaky rubber hammers. Derp.

I wonder if there's a way to mod ballista parts to actually not suck? They should be in the raws as an item file somewhere....
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 [2]