Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Labor Thread  (Read 3588 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Labor Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »

full time student and software support for insurance software.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25:37 pm »

Got an interview at subway. We'll see.
Remember to practice your Middle Eastern accent. Speaking unintelligibly is key to employment there.

Indian at this one. It sounded bad over the phone but they were actually quite comprehensible.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

Remember to practice your Middle Eastern accent. Speaking unintelligibly is key to employment there.
ive never had an experience at subway where the employees have accents. huh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »

... well, no, you have. They've just had the local one. Probably common in more homogeneous areas, I'd guess. More likely to hit an accent you're not using yourself in a larger/more cross-cultural area.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 08:03:18 pm »

That said, I did pizza delivery for a while...and the only thing that made it worthwhile was getting the majority of my paycheck in cash at the end of every shift.

What really sucks about this is that it's not entirely obvious that the delivery fee for the pizza doesn't go to the driver.  The first few times I had pizza delivered I didn't know this and didn't leave much of a tip.  When I discovered the truth I felt pretty bad about it, and make it a point to tip better now.

In all seriousness though, why do they need to charge $2.00 more for a pizza to deliver it if they're not giving it to the driver?  Same box and pizza...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:32 pm »

That said, I did pizza delivery for a while...and the only thing that made it worthwhile was getting the majority of my paycheck in cash at the end of every shift.

What really sucks about this is that it's not entirely obvious that the delivery fee for the pizza doesn't go to the driver.  The first few times I had pizza delivered I didn't know this and didn't leave much of a tip.  When I discovered the truth I felt pretty bad about it, and make it a point to tip better now.

In all seriousness though, why do they need to charge $2.00 more for a pizza to deliver it if they're not giving it to the driver?  Same box and pizza...
the same reason for convenience fees for box offices.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:05 pm »

If they didn't charge extra for delivery, they'd just be straight losing the $6 an hour they pay the driver. The delivery fee does go to the driver - it's their salary. Well, a little bit of it is. Most of it just goes to their boss.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:11 pm »

... well, no, you have. They've just had the local one. Probably common in more homogeneous areas, I'd guess. More likely to hit an accent you're not using yourself in a larger/more cross-cultural area.
no i haven't. i have not been to a single subway in my town where there was not all white people working.
kinda sad when you think about it considering my city is super multicultural.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:30 am »

Is the delivery fee an american thing? I'm in the UK and haven't noticed that at all, but I only order food delivered a couple times a year at most.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 08:40:28 am »

Is the delivery fee an american thing? I'm in the UK and haven't noticed that at all, but I only order food delivered a couple times a year at most.
I never order food because i live outside the city. 
And iunno they have a delivery fee here in Canada aswell.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:46 am »

I am a pastry cook. I make all those caricatural french things like croissants and éclairs.

Well, I used to. My current job mostly consist in cooking bread, and I don't get to do all the various products you sell in a local artisan shop here anymore. I'm not learning anything at that job. But the hours are good and the people are nice.

I don't want to do that all my life though - I want to go back to college, study something I like, and then we'll see what I can do from there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]