Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constant Cancellations due to Wild Honeybee Hive outside of burrow and walls.  (Read 1024 times)

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My beekeeper dwarves won't do anything but stand at the hives and announce job cancellations due to the fact that they can't pathfind to hives outside the burrow and walls.
I have already taken one wild honeybee hive and installed it so that artificial hives can be created.

How do I get them to stop that?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, is this maybe related to bug 3981?  If so, a workaround might be to remove and rebuild all empty hives in your fortress.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So... your hives are outside your burrows? If that is okay with you but you just want the messages to disappear the easiest way would be to disable the beekeeping labor?

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The hives are inside the burrows.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's almost certainly the hives themselves generating faulty jobs. Resetting the hives' status should solve the problem. You don't need to rip them out and and re-build, you can simply change the settings on all empty hives to 'don't install colony', let the game run for a few second and then toggle back to 'install colony when ready'. This generates fresh colony install jobs and should prefer the nearest available colony, hopefully one in one of your occupied hive boxes. Downside is that you're likely to run into this one again sooner or later, as long as there are bees both inside and outside of the burrows.

If you have only very few active colonies under your control, it's best to slowly expand the bee industry - don't put up more empty 'install colony' hive boxes than you have occupied boxes labelled 'ready to split'. Having too many empty hives casting around for fresh colonies lets them requisition colonies from far outside the fort, and often leads to double-tasking of single colonies, which results in the infamous stuck beekeeper.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Until the values of royal jelly and mead are raised, I refuse to engage in beekeeping.  Seriously 1-dwafbuck unit of honey/jelly in a 50-dwarfbuck rock jug just makes me feel silly, same as getting only 5 units of mead in a barrel for all the effort (particularly the additional effort of managing jugs in stockpiles).  Wax is cool though, I do love seeing wax figurines and such, and would like to see us have some new uses for wax.  If we got honey in stacks perhaps modified by beekeeper skill, it could be a cool way to sustain a no-farming fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Until the values of royal jelly and mead are raised, I refuse to engage in beekeeping.  Seriously 1-dwafbuck unit of honey/jelly in a 50-dwarfbuck rock jug just makes me feel silly, same as getting only 5 units of mead in a barrel for all the effort (particularly the additional effort of managing jugs in stockpiles).  Wax is cool though, I do love seeing wax figurines and such, and would like to see us have some new uses for wax.  If we got honey in stacks perhaps modified by beekeeper skill, it could be a cool way to sustain a no-farming fortress.

try adding
   [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [MULTIPLY_VALUE:4]
to the end of the [CREATURE:HONEY_BEE] entry in creature_insects.txt.  This should make every bee product worth 4 times as much.  Just note that I have not tried this so I cannot say if it works on the [HIVE_PRODUCT] tokens.

And yes bees can be annoying, provide limited resources (max is like 60 hives), fill up your cage screens with useless carp and can spam job cancellations or create suicidal dwarves.  But this is dwarf fortress.  Every single one of those...features makes a mead industry worthwhile. 

'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".