Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Master -- BYOND Dwarf Fortress-inspired  (Read 2650 times)

NicholasDV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dungeon Master -- BYOND Dwarf Fortress-inspired
« on: April 17, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »

Hiya, everyone!

Anyway, I basically made a new account because I was too impatient to find the name and password for my old one, and came on to mention this interesting project, known as Dungeon Master.

I'm aware that it has been posted and mentioned here a few times in the past, but never with any actual..Well, coherence. So, here is my attempt!

It is a game on the http://www.byond.com/ programming language, "Build Your Own Net Dream", which allows for you to create 2-d games and play them pretty easily. The actual hub for it where you can get onto a server and play the game is at http://www.byond.com/games/Ginseng/DungeonMaster . It was originally coded by a person who used the name Ginseng, and taken up by various peoples.

The code itself is in a state of turmoil. It's literally a mess, even if the game is decent and could even be called addicting. But! Well, I decided to take a pretty good look at it, and ended up making a thing on github. The original person who posted it likely isn't going to work on a stable version, almost certainly, even, but I will!

As a result, I went ahead and put this together on github. https://github.com/DungeonMaster/Dungeon-Master/

Here's a pretty good guide for what Github is, with the explanation first and the guide for how to set it up as well as tortoisegit second, for ease of use.

http://tooreasonable.org/wordpress/?p=88
http://tooreasonable.org/wordpress/?p=89

And here is the guide for the byond programming language. Might help a bit, if anyone ends up interested in it.
http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/

Anyway, the goal of this is to make the game stable, get it a decent code-base, make it capable of being easily modified for people's personal use, and improve the source code immensely.

To this end, I invite you all to come and try it out! Learn what you can, and do what you can, and if you like the game, play-- If you like the game a lot, see about coding for it. It being so simple right now, even if very messy, means that even a novice coder could get in and focus on trying to fix it in order to improve and get what they can. Good luck!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can contact me easily over skype via decius.reln2 if you have any questions, or you can send an email to me, easily reachable via my profile here. Thanks!

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:13:33 pm by NicholasDV »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master -- BYOND Dwarf Fortress-inspired
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:32:23 pm »

You have given a good description on everything but that game. What do we do?, what's the objective ? Is it a RPG or a turn based strategy ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

NicholasDV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:09 pm »

True enough! In the game, you take control of (usually) three units and, through large amounts of breeding and building and crafting and cutting and mining and fighting, try your best to become a dominant empire using any method that you want.

On most servers! On some of them, you roleplay with your peoples, behaving as them and going through the world with the strongest attempts to succeed at simply having fun with your own goals.

Races are...

• Dwarf
  • Human
  • Kobold
  • Vampire
  • LizardMan

And a few more. It's actually really tough to explain the game, since you've got to play it to understand it. Taking it deeper?

Well, you get to explore the world with your peoples, guiding them through issues and the like while carefully managing your 'relationships' with other players, so as to keep a stronger person from coming to wipe you out, and wiping out the weaker ones that may threaten you at a point in turn. You get to be the raider, or the defender, and both are very viable with traps and weapons and buildings that you can build and the like.

It's really interesting, and best played to explain it.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:39 pm »

I've played this...one of the biggest reasons I left is because the community turned into a cultist cesspool. I also remember the days of random world gen and "world destroying gargoyle deaths". I actually found Dwarf Fortress from this game ironically.

P.S. Haven't been there in a few months so who knows, maybe the community has changed but that'll be up to whoever decides to try it to worry about.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

NicholasDV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »

Now I don't really seeing it have as much of a community either way, and my focus is on the source code and it updating rather than the individual servers. That said, I find it interesting enough. ~

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28:02 am »

I've tried to play this in the past but dear god, the interface (What's with BYOND games and horrible interfaces?). Picking up Dwarf Fortress and building your first fortress is trivial compared to doing the same with Dungeon Master.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:40 am »

I can confirm this game is fucking fantastic. Though its annoyign the only decent server is closed source.

PTW.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:00:36 am »

PTW
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

NicholasDV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »

I updated the main post with some contact things in case anyone has direct questions of me-- I am always willing to answer!