Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slopes need to be nerfed  (Read 945 times)

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slopes need to be nerfed
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

First off, this is one of the best games ever made. Props to you, Tarn and Zach! :D But I've been running into some annoying problems, such as the frequency of slopes. The way to represent the Z axis is really intuitive, and it makes sense, but THERE ARE SO MANY. Here's a screenshot of what i'll usually find in a pocket island, or a normal world:

I understand they can be fairly frequent in some areas (as they should) but this is a little crazy. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks guys! And a carp just bruised my liver. :C

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slopes need to be nerfed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »

I don't quite follow. Are you saying that there's too much small-scale terrain variation? Your screenshot just looks like a normal hill.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »

I don't quite follow. Are you saying that there's too much small-scale terrain variation? Your screenshot just looks like a normal hill.
Not quite, what i'm saying is if you look outside there's not 16000 hills spanning the country side except in a few areas, this picture pretty much represents my whole world/worlds.:\

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »

Seems pretty normal. If anything, mountains need to be taller, and have more cliffs. Granted, I live in new England, which has hills everywhere. Where do you live?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:18 pm »

What you really want is a way to better view uneven terrain: Depth by darkening. Also in the eternal suggestion voting under the same name.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:56:54 pm »

Seems pretty normal. If anything, mountains need to be taller, and have more cliffs. Granted, I live in new England, which has hills everywhere. Where do you live?
I live in michigan, it's fairly hilly here too. I've been to england and don't really remember too many hills, but what I'm saying is instead of localized hilly areas, (Aka England Vs. Utah) it's everywhere (2500 square miles of england)

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »

What you really want is a way to better view uneven terrain: Depth by darkening. Also in the eternal suggestion voting under the same name.
Thanks! I'll check that out!

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:16 am »

Those slopes aren't each representing a hill, they are all collectively representing the edge of one hill.

Removing most of them would basically be turning every hill or mountain into a mesa, which, while appropriate for some regions, wouldn't be realistic on a world-wide scale.

Try looking at a map of the area in one of the 3-D visualizers, like Stonesense, and you'll get a better idea of what those slopes look like.

Major Monocle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »

Those slopes aren't each representing a hill, they are all collectively representing the edge of one hill.

Removing most of them would basically be turning every hill or mountain into a mesa, which, while appropriate for some regions, wouldn't be realistic on a world-wide scale.

Try looking at a map of the area in one of the 3-D visualizers, like Stonesense, and you'll get a better idea of what those slopes look like.
Hm. That's true. I re-started with a massive world, and the slopes are alot better now. :D