Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Champion advice  (Read 847 times)

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Champion advice
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:31:03 pm »

I have a valiant warrior -- one Fath Zedotalath Itu Zim (Fath Lobsterbolts the Lute of Cresting) by name -- who has served Mirrorspray long and well and working his way up to Legendary Hammerdwarf . . . unfortunately losing both his hands in the process. 

Naturally, I appointed him Hammerer.

My question, then, is whether he would make a good Champion.  Will the fact that he can no longer in actuality grasp a hammer have a negative impact on his ability to teach the rookies how to swing one?  Would I be better off selecting another useless dwarf?  I have no one in the entire fortress with any teaching skill, so that isn't an issue.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
Re: Champion advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

This probably needs SCIENCE to be done, but I honestly doubt weather "does the dwarf have the body parts required to use that skill" come into question when teaching.

Also, it would probably be either he couldn't do it at all or no effect. So try it, if he CAN do it, you're good to go.
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »

Yeah, that was sorta my thinking, too.  I think I'll try it and see if he goes and waves his stumps around in the barracks.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:45:32 am »

Demonstrations are not affected by missing limbs, as far as I know. It's using teacher skill instead, so it's the best choice for your retired hero, I think.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:00:14 am »

I have had a dwarf wielding a crossbow demonstrate axe skills to another dwarf wielding a spear. I don't believe equipment, or having limbs, will have any influence on what is being taught.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.