Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got my first 1-star review  (Read 1089 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Got my first 1-star review
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »

I guess it had to happen eventually.

As you may or may not know, I am currently trying my hand as an author. I've currently got two works published, which you can look at through my sig, if you so desire.

While my books were available exclusively through Amazon (for the first three months after being published) I offered them for free over several weekends. One of the reasons that I did this was in the hopes of getting more reviews on my books, with the thought that books that have more ratings should, hopefully, get more people looking and (maybe even) buying them.

Well, it looks like I finally got a review from someone (who isn't a member of either this or another forum I'm a regular at) who picked up the book:

"I read the first story. It was terrible, with absolutely no point to it... When the paragraph stopped in the middle of the page, I thought that perhaps it was only the first chapter... It wasn't.

The book was free though, so I guess I can't really complain. I also didn't bother the read anything after the first story."

Harsh.

Personally, I think the guy didn't give me enough of a chance - there's 16 stories in my collection, and he just read the one?

Maybe it's partially my own fault - "Fire", the first story, is also what I would call the most 'artsy' or perhaps 'experimental', and I've gotten mixed reviews even within my own family and friends. They generally either love it, or say "what's the point?" (much like this guy.) Perhaps I should've picked something more mainstream as my first story.

I don’t know, just so this topic isn't just me rambling - what do you think is required for a review? If someone reads just the one story, but hates it enough to take the time and actually write a review of it, is that valid? Does he have any obligation to slog through more of the book?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Got my first 1-star review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:29 pm »

Well I mean look at threads people start in OG. People want information, well-thought out explanations, examples ect.... from a game review. I don't see book reviews being any different.

Is he obligated to read more short stories before he can give a review? I dunno, that's subjective. Depends on how it strikes the person, how strongly compelled they are to say something after so little exposure. Ask yourself the reverse side of the question. Is someone heaping praise on your work after just reading Fire entitled to a review? Is their take on it better because they like it? Or would the praise be just as hollow as the criticism because they didn't read more of your work?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »

Ask yourself the reverse side of the question. Is someone heaping praise on your work after just reading Fire entitled to a review? Is their take on it better because they like it? Or would the praise be just as hollow as the criticism because they didn't read more of your work?

That's a good question. I think I would feel it was a hollow review, even at five stars, if the reviewer mentioned that they only read the first story. Mostly because I'd be going "if you liked it so much, why wouldn't you read the rest of it?"

I'm admittedly much more sore about a one-star review that says they didn't read it, because I (obviously) think there's value to be had in my stories. I don't mind if people don't like it and stop reading - not everything is for everyone, after all - but I don't think people should post a review without reading at least... 33-50% of the book first.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:45:10 pm »

What if you list the story so people can flip to what looks interesting?

Name what people should read first.

better stories won't suffer as such.

Worse stories get read by the more persistant.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »

If you had some way to let people test read only a few stories just set it up in such a way that the safer bets are at the forefront of choices instead of the more strange and whimsical ones that are more likely to appeal only to a select handful.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:00:54 am »

There will always be people who hate your work, even for little or no reason. The faster you accept that, the faster you'll stop caring.