Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A kobold summoner, now with a raven familiar.  (Read 4009 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: A kobold summoner wakes, finding himself marooned on a beach.
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 06:49:25 pm »

Unless the spirit is particularly gullible, it will not agree to anything that open-ended...
It seems open-ended in the spirit's favor. It can claim darn near anything as a shiny, and if it's not sharp, valuable-per-pound, or made of some kind of valuable material (and not gems!), it can keep it!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A kobold summoner, now with a raven familiar.
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 06:16:03 pm »

((Shifting pronouns from awkward first person plural to second person singular.))

The summoning is a success; a raven-like spirit answers the call. It is now loosely bound to serve, mainly to help search for interesting items. In exchange, you will banish its collection (pending your approval) alongside it, when you no longer have need of the helper. It will not attempt to steal what you have claimed, and won't be of any use in a fight other than as a possible early warning. Unless you stop somewhere, the spirit will store its collection in one of the inner pockets in your wizard's coat.

The summoning leaves you tired, but still mostly functional.

A few hours of wandering the beach and searching through the flotsam yields several salvageable items:
More coils of rope than you could possibly carry, even with a wheelbarrow.
Bolts of un-dyed cloth.
A kobold-height barrel of fresh water that survived intact. It is about 3/4s full after getting clean and quenching your thirst.
Two unsealed kobold-height barrels, partially filled with seawater.
Seventeen more servings of jerky.
A few poles, ranging from six to nine feet long.
Lots of fishing gear. You've never been fishing.
A carefully padded create with eight magical potions: You can identify three of standard healing, and one of mana. Unidentified are one orange, one yellow, one dark purple, and one black.
An ornamental dagger you could wield as a shortsword. You're not sure how to fight with it, or how good it is, but it's sharp.
A dented iron pot.
Seventeen silver coins.
Fifteen shiny rocks.
A box of iron eating utensils.
Two hammers.
A small metallic locked box. It rattles.
A key (does not work with box).
An old ring that probably is not important.
Lots of scrap wood.
A metal flute. You could play a few songs acceptably with it.
Some iron ingots, scattered around.

You have five unclaimed pockets, but probably can't stuff them without becoming encumbered.

There is a wreckage to the north. There is an ocean to the east. There is a wreckage to the south. There is a forest to the west.
You are in good health and fully satiated. Morale is not applicable to an entity such as you.
The day is 3/4s done. A cool breeze gently wafts southwards, smelling strongly of seawater.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:52 pm »

> assume unimportant ring is important
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »

I wonder if we can get a hammer-space spirit...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »

If there is no limit to familiars, summon a familiar that can store things. Like a larger-on-the-inside extraplanar floating box or something. We can bind items inside it, then it'll go away, and when we need the items we'll get it back. In return, well, we could negotiate terms.

>WEAR THE RING DO IT NOW
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »

Build a shelter above the tideline, and haul everything we can up there. Bed down in the bolts of cloth.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:34 pm »

I would expect it to be a signet ring, but those would normally be gaudy affairs to make them unique...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »

Mysterious Ring equipped.

Nothing interesting happens. It's not a signet ring, and if it has any enchantments, they're not immediately apparent. You sense no active enchantments, and don't have the ability to sense dormant enchantments.

After moving your arm, the ring falls off your finger, having been sized for a human.
Mysterious Ring removed

You could haul most of the items of interest out of the reach of the tide in about half a day, but there would be an obvious trail leading to them. If there are any sapient scavengers, they could follow it, which might be good or bad depending on whether you're awake and how easily awed they are by the few cantrips you bothered to learn.

You think you could build a temporary lean-to out of scrap wood in half a day. It would make it easier to focus on a spell.

Suddenly missing Ricky, your Rift Beast that was lost in the battle, you think you could summon a replacement to serve as a extra-dimensional storage in about a week. If you're cautious, you're confident you could fully bind a particularly weak one with half a cubic meter of storage safely. If you want a riskier ritual, you might get one able to store three cubic meters of space, but you would need some way to keep it happy. If you destroy Safety and scatter her ashes amongst the eighty-seven winds of the Aether, you could flag the attention of anything from an elder being with mastery over Space-Time to Yog-Sothoth. If you're particularly lucky (and, seriously, it's like the fifth update or something, what are the chances of catastrophic failure?), it might even be amused enough by being made aware of this planet to not have retroactively have turned you into a mindless shell bent on powering it enough to subvert this reality for your entire life. You only consider this last point for the sake of completeness, and don't think Sylphy would be happy with it.

If you had enough food, you could sit around binding weak new summons until they ate everything for a mile around into a barren wasteland. It would be easier if you could get a summon with minions, and bargained with it for help, but you don't have anything it would want at hand, and it is harder to get them to agree to a pay-on-summoning contract.

Ideally, you would prefer to eat three rations per day, but this is not an ideal situation. You will be mostly fine with two per day. You have twenty.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »

In the morning, Have our raven search the forest for food. We could also do that, and have it search for survivors.

But we should focus of Destroying Safety and scattering her ashes amongst the eighty-seven winds of the Aether by Summoning an elder god who has mastery of space, time, and spacetime.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 09:58:00 pm »

I see your point, and I agree, but I am just in the mood for 3-cubic metres. It would be enough to store an over-sized shotgun Hammer, and that is all we really need.
Read the First Post!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:21 pm »

I see your point, and I agree, but I am just in the mood for 3-cubic metres. It would be enough to store an over-sized shotgun Hammer, and that is all we really need.
Need? Who said anything about need? This was all about want, plain and simple. Its still early enough to annoy the GM before they can annoy us.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]