Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much surgery does it take to remove rotten tissue?  (Read 3038 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How much surgery does it take to remove rotten tissue?
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:29:12 am »

I'm sure this is a bug, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone knows a workaround. A couple of my dwarves have managed to get rotting fingers and such from some FB contaminant. No big deal, right? Surely the doctors can handle that? Well, apparently not. One doctor has been removing rotten tissue from the same finger for three full months, with over 50 separate surgeries. Meanwhile that particular dwarf is about to die of blood loss from repeated surgery and/or an infected finger. Is there anything to be done? At this point I'm thinking of letting a goblin surgeon have a whack at him.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much surgery does it take to remove rotten tissue?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:14 am »

Have an axeman remove the hand!

Err seriously I don't really know other than that. Do the doctors have a way to clean their hands? Maybe one of them is reinfecting the tissue with FB contaminate, making them need a new surgery?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02:04 am »

Well, that dwarf died like ten seconds after I started playing again. The next one has rotting lips (10 surgeries on the same lip already), so the axe plan is out.

I checked the surgeon, and the only contaminants on him and his clothing are dwarf blood and goblin blood, so he's probably fine. Good idea, though.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:12:04 am »

oh ****..guess what i just attacked a similar FB thinking what could possibly go wrong??Slew him very fast but some got infected and i was like how bad can it be i have 40 legendaries in my army and saved the game...totally feeling cool about it until i read your post. Better reload the game and get ready for a full general hospital drama...

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:42:14 am »

Let's not be too hard on the surgeon here. He tries to make them beautiful, but they always turn out wrong!

Check the dwarves' clothing for contaminants. If there are some contaminants left, flood the hospital to wash them off.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:13 am »

It's possible your Doctor is not skilled enough to remove the dead tissue quick enough. At least the Doc gets more experience, some Dwarves are too gone to save.

Is it possible those Dwarves are still infected or contaminated by the FB syndrome? It could mean that your Doctor is fighting a losing battle against a necrotizing syndrome. I would recommend burning everything in that room that looks the lightest shade away from blood.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:48 pm »

After reading up on syndromes and people's experiences with them here, I built my hospital with an 'emergency containment switch'. Basically, I hooked it up to the magma distribution system, just in case...

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »

Well, the infected dwarfs all died, but no one important, so it's no big deal. On the bright side, the surgeon went from novice to expert.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »

It isn't a bug: just horrible unpredictable disease no reasonable surgeon could ever be ready for. Hell it is an act of heroism to even be around the infected, knowing that if they pass, it might well be you who grabs the haul-to-corpse-pile job.

Well, the infected dwarfs all died, but no one important, so it's no big deal. On the bright side, the surgeon went from novice to expert.

Glad you are seeing the brightside! Now kill all the cats or there will be another outbreak.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:21 pm »

At least they didn't try to remove the lungs this time.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 04:56:44 am »

It isn't a bug: just horrible unpredictable disease no reasonable surgeon could ever be ready for. Hell it is an act of heroism to even be around the infected, knowing that if they pass, it might well be you who grabs the haul-to-corpse-pile job.

Glad you are seeing the brightside! Now kill all the cats or there will be another outbreak.

No no, the disease almost perfectly offsets the catsplosion effect. It's a godsend, really. They don't seem to be spreading the disease, anyway.