Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with militia not equipping helms/high boots/gauntlets  (Read 694 times)

caldas

• Escaped Lunatic
  • gibe goblinite plox hueheuheuehueheuheu
    • View Profile

After locking my fortress down to protect my citizens from the goblin siege I started working on full body armor for my militia, they equipped the breastplate and the mail shirt without any problems.

But for some reason they can't equip helms/high boots/gauntlets, and when I try to equip manually, all items are RED.
Can someone help me out? I have a goblin siege waiting outside and really want to get the !FUN! started (I really want the Goblinite).

And another quick question: can 8 dwarves armed with steel and 6 war dogs take on 16 goblins?

Edit:here are the screen shots of the helms (note that they are not being used)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:02:31 pm by caldas »
Running away from the !fun!

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with militia not equipping helms/high boots/gauntlets
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »

Are you looking from the Z-Menu-stockpile?

I believe RED means you don't own it. You have to claim it using d-b-c or using k-cursor and claim it manually with f.

Your dogs will most likely die as they only have their flesh to protect them. If your dwarves are in FULL steel and the goblins are in gear in lower quality than steel, you should be able to defeat them with only slight bruises.

caldas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »

I'm looking from the m->e menu, the weird thing is that I just made those pieces. I'll check to see if they are not mine atm (even though they should)
Edit: just looked them and they are mine indeed, I'll get a screen shot brb

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:48 pm »

And another quick question: can 8 dwarves armed with steel and 6 war dogs take on 16 goblins?
In an arena battle, 8 steel-clad dwarves and six dogs beat 12 copper-clad goblins with some slight bruising and one broken leg. (Dwarves had steel swords, goblins had copper swords. Nobody had any skills.)

caldas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:22:08 pm »

Then perhaps I'll finish setting up my marksdwarf squad before heading out, all I need is the god damn armor on my dwaves

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:00:37 am »

Yah my dwarves won't equip anything but breastplates and greaves, even though they've plenty of unforbidden armor sitting in a stockpile next to the barracks.  I've no idea why.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

caldas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:56:38 am »

Perhaps it is a bug?

Edit: found this on the wiki
"Finally, there are two settings that can be toggled for each dwarf: Over clothing and Partial matches. These are both on (highlighted) by default. Over clothing means the dwarf will do his best to wear his uniform in addition to his civilian clothing; if toggled, it becomes Replace clothing, and the dwarf will strip naked before donning his military gear. Partial matches means that if a dwarf cannot satisfy an equipment assignment, he'll substitute something close; if toggled to Exact matches, he'll go without rather than making do with a substitute."
I'll try this out and report back
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:06:37 am by caldas »

caldas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:04 am »

Ok just solved the problem: I went to the m->e menu and manually clicked "r" on all of them, they stripped naked and equipped the rest of the armor. Now it's time to start the !fun!

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »

Yah my dwarves won't equip anything but breastplates and greaves, even though they've plenty of unforbidden armor sitting in a stockpile next to the barracks.  I've no idea why.

I had the same problem. Thing is, when you open the (m)ilitary screen, the u(n)iforms section is only for CREATING the uniforms. And if you want your military to properly wear them, each time you make changes to a uniform, you have to assign it to a squad or person. Use the (e)quip section for that.

TL;DR
m>e> select your squad and desired uniform > shift+enter
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »

"Replace clothing" is highly recommended once you actually have all the armor needed to ensure your military dwarves aren't running around exposed.  Some civilian clothing can interfere with the ability to wear armor (especially caps, which Toady changed to "Shaped" in recent versions).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz