Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enquiry about Strange Mood  (Read 992 times)

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enquiry about Strange Mood
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:02:18 am »

Well, all I'm wondering is if there is any way to find out what materials they want in any more detail than stone or wood etc. I have a Dorf who has drawn a Picture of a Quarry and Bars of Metal I assume that what he wants are materials I have stockpiled/have access to but I'm not sure which ones :( HELP xP

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Enquiry about Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:11:04 am »

The short answer is no, there's no way to get more details.

The wiki has translations of each of the things they might want, but here're the relevant ones:

A picture of a quarry means stone blocks, not just stones. Masons make them in masonry workshops.

Bars of metal usually means any kind of metal, but if the moody dwarf likes a particular metal (on their thoughts screen) they might want just that kind. Try to smelt at least one bar of as many metals as you can (or buy them off caravans) just in case someone gets picky with a mood.

Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 11:16:53 am »

But according to this Stone/Metal blocks have a different description :/

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:28 am »

Oh, look at that. Whoops.

Been a while since I had a secretive mood - they're the rarest (well, besides fell but that has some... specialized requirements.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:36 am »

Been a while since I had a secretive mood - they're the rarest (well, besides fell but that has some... specialized requirements.)
They aren't rare - Fey, Secretive, and Possessed all occur at equal frequencies (unless the dwarf is unhappy, in which case it's a 50/50 chance for Fell or Macabre).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:43:34 am »

Wow, I'm wrong a lot.

In my defense, probability seems to have thrown me for a loop here. My current fort has 12 artifacts and I've had zero secretive moods.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »

Bars of metal usually means any kind of metal, but if the moody dwarf likes a particular metal (on their thoughts screen) they might want just that kind. Try to smelt at least one bar of as many metals as you can (or buy them off caravans) just in case someone gets picky with a mood.
A note here, but dwarves should only require their specific type of metal if you have ever smelted any bars of it. Thus a viable strategy is to only smelt bars that you can mass-produce, and never create any of the rarer types of bars so that dwarves never request them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »

i think the issue here is metal preference, DFhack "showmood" has cleared that up for me a few times, recently, a moody dwarf in my fort wanted bismuth for his project, and i already used all i had to make bismuth bronze..

similarly i have also seen(using DFhack "showmood") reveal that metal bar requests mean specifically copper, tin, and lay pewter, so i suspect it could be any metal you had at some point and you already used up for something

about 80% of the time the dwarf just wants "metal" though, i think you just have one of those oddballs that loves metals like tin, and is hoping you didn't use all the tin in a "make bronze (r)" job

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »

A note here, but dwarves should only require their specific type of metal if you have ever smelted any bars of it. Thus a viable strategy is to only smelt bars that you can mass-produce, and never create any of the rarer types of bars so that dwarves never request them.

What if I bought the bar?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:58 am »

What if I bought the bar?
According to the wiki this only occurs for smelted bars, not for those purchased from the caravan. Personally I haven't experienced this, so I'm unable to confirm or deny the wiki's statement.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.