Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several miscellaneous questions  (Read 519 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Several miscellaneous questions
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

1. If dwarves have several Wells placed all over the fortress, but they also have a stockpile of beer which is farther away than most of the fort, which will dwarves choose, beer or well-water?

2. What causes dogs / war dogs to stop breeding? (mine did)

3. Do the items that goblins or other siegers drop affect your Dwarf Fortress wealth? ( As in if a goblin army drops many iron armor pieces, do you gain alot of wealth for it being in your stockpiles ). If they do affect wealth, would it be worth making stockpiles big enough to fit all those narrow goblin items rather than just chasm them?

4. How many times do you have to sieze human goods before they siege you? Is it worth giving up wagon loads of trading goods? Can dwarves wear human armor?

5. Is it true elves ambush instead of siege when they get pissed? Can you kill them all with a magma flow into the world thus giving them no ambush areas?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Several miscellaneous questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

1. They will always choose alcohol.

2. They probably hit the population limit.

3. No, any items not made in your fort will be marked like this: <itemname> So you may want to chasm them.

4. Sorry, I never have really seized goods, so I wouldn't know.

5. I haven't been attacked by those eco-terrorists, but I do know that flooding the world with magma will end ALL sieges immediately.

[ March 06, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

[ March 06, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

3. Goblin items don't count towards your wealth, but you can still trade them and any items you get in return will count as "yours". Also, I like to melt all their iron items to save on hematite for steel production. A few good goblin sieges can give you loads of iron bars through melting.

4. I haven't tried siezing goods myself, but I do know dwarves can't wear human stuff - it'll show as "Large". You can use human weapons though.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

2. There have been some threads on this forum suggesting that caged animals don't get pregnant. So let them run around for a bit and see if that doesn't get them all knocked up.
qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

3. For any metal item, it's best to melt it down into bars, but anything else just clogs up the place. An alternative is to trade the leather and silk items (they frequently have giant spider silk -item-s which is $600 a piece), but it will never increase your Exports; important if you want more nobles.

A neat alternative to chasming everything (if you want to keep the natives down there alive and well and happy) is to dig yourself a chamber and stockpile all the non-metal foreign items there. Then lead a shaft of lava down to that chamber and open a floodgate. There, problem solved! Just a wee bit of nonexistent residue and it's ready for the next load.

4. I had the humans decide to siege me after 1 or 2 of their trade caravans were slaughtered by goblins. There's a certain level where if their losses break that point, they will seige. I'm not sure if they stop, however...

5. Elves ambush, yes. I might have been hallucinating, but I think they come onto the map in a pack stealthed, until they start shooting. Then you get an announcement, where you panic and get your dwarves scurrying into your fortress. After that, it's no different from a siege, other than the fact that the Elves aren't at all interested in moving into the Fortress; they are quite content to sit at the mouth, ready to make a porcupine out of the first thing to poke its nose into firing range.

You can fry them with a magma flow, but you might run into the problem of an infinite flood, making the outside unsafe for ANYONE.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by GrimmSweeper:
<STRONG>3. For any metal item, it's best to melt it down into bars, but anything else just clogs up the place. An alternative is to trade the leather and silk items (they frequently have giant spider silk -item-s which is $600 a piece), but it will never increase your Exports; important if you want more nobles.

A neat alternative to chasming everything (if you want to keep the natives down there alive and well and happy) is to dig yourself a chamber and stockpile all the non-metal foreign items there. Then lead a shaft of lava down to that chamber and open a floodgate. There, problem solved! Just a wee bit of nonexistent residue and it's ready for the next load.

4. I had the humans decide to siege me after 1 or 2 of their trade caravans were slaughtered by goblins. There's a certain level where if their losses break that point, they will seige. I'm not sure if they stop, however...

5. Elves ambush, yes. I might have been hallucinating, but I think they come onto the map in a pack stealthed, until they start shooting. Then you get an announcement, where you panic and get your dwarves scurrying into your fortress. After that, it's no different from a siege, other than the fact that the Elves aren't at all interested in moving into the Fortress; they are quite content to sit at the mouth, ready to make a porcupine out of the first thing to poke its nose into firing range.

You can fry them with a magma flow, but you might run into the problem of an infinite flood, making the outside unsafe for ANYONE.</STRONG>

WOW no WONDER i haven't been getting any export bonuses lately. I have been SHOVELING that giant cave spider cloth down all of my trader's mule's throats, thank you, i did not know that. I don't care about chasming - all that dwell there have been dead for years... :) I tried melting down the iron stuff but i cant do it fast enough, goblins siege and drop more iron than i could melt it so i just started chuckin' it because it took up space in my armory and people started decorating it...

Im not worried about them stopping, it keeps my dwarves on their toes, the marksdwarves anyway. The magma channel stops all but my archers from having their way with invaders through fortifications.

When you say its no different from a siege, do you mean you can start seeing where the elves are and the little "siege" icons appear at the corners?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

quote:
2. There have been some threads on this forum suggesting that caged animals don't get pregnant. So let them run around for a bit and see if that doesn't get them all knocked up.

More specifically: if this bug bites you, you have to release *all* animals of that kind. Not only from cages, but restraints as well. It's reported that chaining a single doggie has prevented the whole dog population from breeding.

It would make sense if a cage without males was a working contraceptive for the females inside, but I don't know if it works that way.