Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On scaly gophers  (Read 1972 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On scaly gophers
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:52:02 pm »

So a while ago, I was visited by an ambassador from the humans. He was a gopher covered in scales, with a sting. The meeting went well enough. A year later, I was visited by another human ambassador, this one built on more conventionally human lines, which surprised me. I checked the civ info for the humans, and there was no mention of any scaly gophers in positions of power. However, during the meeting, some goblins showed up, led by... a scaly gopher with a sting. I didn't make a note of the original ambassador's name, but I assume it was the same (for lack of a better term) person, driven out and now in charge of the goblins.

I have three questions:

• Am I right in assuming it to be the same entity?
  • As I understand it, human ambassadors will warn future human invaders about any traps they know about. As it happens, I don't think the gopher saw any of my traps in his first visit, but if he had, would the goblins have been immune?
  • How representative of their kind are these guys? Are they about the same difficulty as their subterranean cousins?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: On scaly gophers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »

Wait wait... are you saying that most humans -don't- look like scaly gophers? My mom always told me that other families were just like us. =[

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:27:29 pm »

Wait wait... are you saying that most humans -don't- look like scaly gophers? My mom always told me that other families were just like us. =[

I'm sorry you had to find out this way Raphite.

More on topic, the scaly gopher is probably a clown that escaped the circus and started ruling. I'm not sure if there can be more than one of the same type in a word because they are randomly generated, but maybe the two gophers are brothers or something. Take a note of this ones name and maybe after the fort falls check in legends.

Also for question 3, they are so huge that if they are wearing clothes most attacks will just bounce off the clothes. Better hope your dwarves know to aim for unclothed areas.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:29:35 pm by squiddwarf16 »

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:33:53 pm »

if he's leading the goblins, he will NOT be immune to any of your traps, however, as he is a demon, i believe he does have [Trap_Avoid], so you'll have to knock him out
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »

A scale gopher, huh? I... am having troubles imagining a humanoid scaly gopher.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »

I'm not sure if there can be more than one of the same type in a word because they are randomly generated, but maybe the two gophers are brothers or something.
Oh, they're randomized on an individual level? I thought it was just a few distinct species randomly created at worldgen.

Also for question 3, they are so huge that if they are wearing clothes most attacks will just bounce off the clothes. Better hope your dwarves know to aim for unclothed areas.
Ah, it's the size that was causing that! I thought it was just really good at armor (and scaly). Do demons in their natural habitat have access to clothes? This guy was wearing troll fur, but that presumably comes from the goblins.

if he's leading the goblins, he will NOT be immune to any of your traps, however, as he is a demon, i believe he does have [Trap_Avoid], so you'll have to knock him out
Way ahead of you, he's already dead. Axedwarves kept hacking away at him until he died of blood loss. (This took forever -- most of their attacks just bounced off, and when one did get through he healed incredibly quickly. Fortunately, there were so many axedwarves ganging up on him that he couldn't get a spare moment to hit back.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:38:56 pm »

Oh, they're randomized on an individual level? I thought it was just a few distinct species randomly created at worldgen.
Bingo. But some clowns get a unique token that lets them take over civs.

v
Ah, it's the size that was causing that! I thought it was just really good at armor (and scaly). Do demons in their natural habitat have access to clothes? This guy was wearing troll fur, but that presumably comes from the goblins.
They don't where the sun doesn't shine. Peasants make it for them.

Quite unusual really, I think it's more likely that both civs were led by a demon of some sort that happened to be the same species. When diplomats leave your map they disappear, it's a rather annoying and long standing bug.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:39 am »

A scale gopher, huh? I... am having troubles imagining a humanoid scaly gopher.
I suspect it wore Groucho glasses to blend in.

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:47 am »

Bingo. But some clowns get a unique token that lets them take over civs.

v
They don't where the sun doesn't shine. Peasants make it for them.

Quite unusual really, I think it's more likely that both civs were led by a demon of some sort that happened to be the same species. When diplomats leave your map they disappear, it's a rather annoying and long standing bug.

So now we have scaly gopher demon clowns wearing troll fur outfits...very !!FUN!!
Whats next tattoos of I<3ELVESANDTREES on them and their goblins and then the Elves being sneaky betraying hippies...secretly helping siege you..by trading you Caged secretly were-demons animals who are timed to "Explode" into their furious transformations as soon as the sieges from multiple civs occur?

Plus 'artifact' demon thought up Clown Outfits for all the Elves and Gobs and Demons seiging?
Is that what your suggesting? *chortles*

And if not...why not? are you one of these Elves?