Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish embedded in aquifer rock!  (Read 1846 times)

Brhino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fish embedded in aquifer rock!
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »

I built a fortress on an island in the middle of the ocean.  Thought it would keep those nosy interlopers away, but I still get dwarven caravans and a weretortoise just showed up and waged an epic battle with a giant thrips.

Anyhow, the whole zone's over an aquifer which I am trying to dig through with mixed results - lost a dwarf when the shallow water he was standing in froze suddenly when winter hit!  Good times.  So I've got channels dug here and there as I probe the aquifer.  I noticed my dwarves are fishing in these channels.  I was about to call them a bunch of idiots and disable their fishing labors when I noticed that they're actually catching fish.  Clearly the fish were embedded in the rock, and then once I channeled away at it they became free-swimming and able to be caught.  Pretty funny stuff.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fish embedded in aquifer rock!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »

That's awesome.  I'll have to try that when I need to keep my dwarves indoors.

On a related note, can you post the settings you used to create your world?  I've been gen'ng world after world looking for a perfect island.  My current fortress has land along the north border, but also the ocean itself freezes over and my caravans appear on the ocean tiles.  This leads me to  believe that if I could drain the sea away then I'd also get caravans on the ocean floor tiles in a warmer climate.

Because the ocean freezes I made my fortress entrance on the ocean floor.  I've started mining ice to build a great shield wall along the north al la Game of Thrones. :)

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

That is odd. In my experience, fishing is a bit wonky right now, fishless lakes are rather common, and biomes with pond turtles are very rare. I never managed to catch fish in aquifers or in the caves.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »

Because the ocean freezes I made my fortress entrance on the ocean floor.  I've started mining ice to build a great shield wall along the north al la Game of Thrones. :)

IMO it's more fun to do it with cavern water and a bucket brigade.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

That is odd. In my experience, fishing is a bit wonky right now, fishless lakes are rather common, and biomes with pond turtles are very rare. I never managed to catch fish in aquifers or in the caves.
Neither have I. I'm not sure anyone has. I've yet to track down a bug report on it but I've never had anyone claim to have caught fish in the caverns.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:05:55 pm »

I have a river and the lungfish come out of it and fly around the map.  ???

I see them 3-4 Z levels in the air and all about the embark.  Tempted to do a lot of fishing simply to see if I can reduce them a bit.  (Yes, I know they are a "vermin" and that it won't work.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:15:48 pm »

I've never had anyone claim to have caught fish in the caverns.
You can catch fish in the caverns, provided you don't try and use any of the cavern water. Move the water somewhere else with a pump or bucket, carve out a channel, carve out a new bank... Anything to create water in a tile where there was none on embark, because that 'changes' it from cavern water to non-feature water.

But cracking open the caverns and putting a fishing zone straight down? Nope, never caught anything that way.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.