Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14907 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2013, 05:41:45 pm »

I hate to discourage active attempts to move things along, but I must.

With or without Sierra, Jamnan requests a few diplomats, and make proper preparations for a creation of an embassy in the Tri-Fold Domain. Preferably, Sierra could create the estate from scratch as an impressive performent, otherwise he commission the materials and personnel necessary to build one. Jamnan also brings the materials needed for further magic-research, as this embassy might be his home for a while. He offers any apprentice who thinks that he or she could be useful in this journey to join him.
You'll need mana for research. You might be able to convince Lady Zirae to teach you how to get locally produced mana, but you won't be able to get enough to be useful without more influence (Lady Zirae will not allow you to give them mana in exchange for letting you keep some). You'll be dependent on small pseudo-caravans of mana, which could be disrupted.

Ardrek decided to act boldly. It was risky, very risky way to act, but he decided to disguise himself as a robbed merchant and went to the city Tri-fold domain ruled in

Here he tried to use his social skills to find any legal job (even if that would mean to become a slave) and used both magic ( by setuping enchanted items here and there) and his social skills to gather any useful information, to transfer it to Lady Zirae's rangers, spies, or herself, should she use bits of divination magic to contact him

Of cause he informed Lady Zirae about his plan beforehand, to not make her think that he betrayed her and ran away
You'll share mana logistics problems with Evil Marahadja. You might want to spend a few seasons on improving spell efficiency and on divination skills, as every extra SpyRock you have will give you another spying roll, and checking your spell isn't efficient/persistent enough to be regularly checked with the current mana available on even one stone. (I'm interested in seeing whether you go after constant monitoring of less objects or recording more objects.)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2013, 04:48:03 pm »

Ardas had some funny plans to work as a spy, but when he counted the amount of Mana needed for that he understood that Lady Zirae will fry his brains. That thought, and memories of the last effects of her wrath made him determined to improve his FOIL Hat spell further
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:05 am »

Well..I am gonna keep up with the plan anyway. Since it is quite boring to just write "Study blurgblurgh blurgh" every turn which I have happened to do for quite a while. But still;

Try to convince Zirae how to get local produced mana. My long term goal will be to gather enough followers to be mana independent, but until then I request limited mana caravans aswell.

Also, do commission a few writers or something like that. I have plans of creating a personal cult around Zirae, and they will have to write some lore glorifying our Lady Zirae.

In the upcoming months I will need coins and other goods to bribe our way into more influence.

If there is any time over, request a diplomat to start teach me the art of persuation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:35:21 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »

I no longer have the will to update this indefinitely at a slow pace, so I'll accelerate it to end in 5-8 turns, or when it begins to stagnate.

World set to dangerous.

Simplified rolls enabled.

Re-submit actions. The next turn will take place over two years (8 of the previous turns). Please don't, say, spend five seasons studying Invisibility, three seasons infiltrating the rival leaders, and then perform an assassination. Instead, study invisibility until you can reliably slip past someone guarding a doorway and remain hidden for five minutes, then infiltrate the rival leader's palace, and then pull off an assassination at the end of the turn.

I hope to see the Tri-Fold Domain fall this turn. The one who does the most towards shifting its ownership will probably become a governor, if they so choose. And survive. Living is nice.

Here's the latest version of my hidden document, since it's no longer relevant, for the curious. If it doesn't make sense, that's because I never planned to reveal it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:12 am »

More Ping and look into mana production.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2013, 04:04:16 am »

((This saddens me. This game was very cool, both in concept and execution, and I do hope somebody makes something similar in the future. I'd be a good contender were I not so busy.

I'd also be curious to know more about the mechanics, if you feel like sharing. I can sort of guess some stuff from the document, but it's obviously not very clear if you don't know what you're looking for.

Also, do you know what contributed to you losing interest in it? I know sometimes it just sort of happens, but I'm curious if there were any of the more concrete reasons for something to die off.))

Attempt to refine the effectiveness of conjured weapons until they're suitably intimidating, and attempt to research or be taught enough Geology to conjure pretty, semiprecious stone.

Requisition a craftsman or future craftsman to perfect carving goods from stone, supplying him with conjured stone if necessary.

Ask Lady Zirae about ways to generate more mana. Explain that I intend to master weapon conjuration and may need a fair amount to properly outfit at least our elite troops.

At the end of the turn, contact the individual leaders of the Tri-Fold Domain. Send each of them a conjured weapon or two and several pretty conjured stone trinkets of various materials and types, explaining that the weapons and raw stone was conjured from thin air, playing up how advanced and powerful Lady Zirae's forces are, and mentioning that she's looking to expand her domain, as is proper for one so powerful.

Suggest that fighting against her forces would be a losing proposition, pointing out that this is just what her mundane forces would be armed with. Remind them that she'd also have the rest of her magical power to bear, but that her magical talent would likely bring prosperity to anyplace she controlled anyway. Further suggest that if they were to accept her authority willingly, they and their entire city might end up better off than they were anyway, to say nothing of how they'd fare compared to opposing her and then losing.

Essentially, try to cow them with insinuations of infinite summoned weapons and bribe them with insinuations of fabulous stone prizes.

If that fails, begin arming our forces with whatever mana I can acquire, and look into getting more when that runs out. If we have any spies to spare or operating in the Tri-Fold Domain, mention that they can also use my pretty stone trinkets as bribes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2013, 06:25:58 pm »

Also, do you know what contributed to you losing interest in it? I know sometimes it just sort of happens, but I'm curious if there were any of the more concrete reasons for something to die off.))
Overall, I think it was too ambitious for me to tackle alone. I should have gotten somebody else involved for world-building, bouncing ideas off of, and running the mini-adventures. I felt out of my element with writing and planning consistent and varied lore, which made me more reluctant to write the turns.

I might pick the general idea up again at some point in the not-near future, after simplifying mechanics and getting a co-GM.

((I'd also be curious to know more about the mechanics, if you feel like sharing. I can sort of guess some stuff from the document, but it's obviously not very clear if you don't know what you're looking for.
Most of what I wrote down was multipliers for spell research. A level 3 elementalist with level 1 of metamagic and conjuration trying to research a new level 2 spell would get a +20% bonus for researching a lower leveled elementalism spell, and +15% for the other schools, for a * 1.35 modifier to the research roll (50-133 from random.org). The increase to Elementalism's level would be the base research roll, divided by five since we're going from level 3 to four.
I didn't have any hard rules for spell power level. Generally, compared with typical fantasy wizards, level 0s would be used by apprentices, level 2s would be 'normal' wizards, and level 4s would be powerful wizards. I intended to allow up to level 10.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:45 pm »

Overall, I think it was too ambitious for me to tackle alone. I should have gotten somebody else involved for world-building, bouncing ideas off of, and running the mini-adventures. I felt out of my element with writing and planning consistent and varied lore, which made me more reluctant to write the turns.
Really? That's odd, because I liked what you did write.

I might pick the general idea up again at some point in the not-near future, after simplifying mechanics and getting a co-GM.
I might have some things to PM you about, then.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:12 pm »

((Guys?))

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:57 pm »

((Presumably still exist...))
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]