Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: raw turtles...  (Read 632 times)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
raw turtles...
« on: March 02, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Hi!

I just started my first game and have a problem: It seems like the fishery does not work with raw turtles, at least they complain that there is no raw fish... or what am I doing wrong?

Also, what does the two 'x' mean around some of the raw turtles' names?

cheers!!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: raw turtles...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

The x's around their name mean they're going bad and about to rot... To my knowledge they're still perfectly fine to eat though...

More info is required to definitively say what's wrong... All your turtles could be rotten, they might not actually be raw, there might not be a good path to them, they might be tasked for hauling for whatever reason (like if you fished for a while without a food stockpile, and then made a food stockpile, all the turtles would have to be hauled to the stockpile before the fishery knows they exist).

It could also be another issue... any more details?
(For the record, the fishery does work with raw turtles for most people...)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

thanks for the quick answer.

Let's see: I have several "raw turtle"s (without the 'x') at food stockpiles, and when I set the 'process raw fish' job, it says there aren't any... hm they are outside the mountain, maybe that's the problem?

I cannot think of anything else... hm I'm trying to get a screenshot maybe...

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Is the fishery in the mountain? Are you sure your dwarf wasn't trapped inside after he built it?

[ March 02, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

the fishery is inside... but..

hm.. *cough*... he just died of thirst   :roll:

maybe he was really trapped? how does that happen, and how to see it?

and does it make it any difference if piles are inside or outside (apart from the refuse pile)?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dreiche2:
<STRONG>the fishery is inside... but..

hm.. *cough*... he just died of thirst    :roll:

</STRONG>

Yeah, sounds like he was trapped then. When you're placing a workshop you'll notice there are light green X's and dark green ones - the dark green spots will be impassable once it's built, which can become a problem if you're putting it in a 3x3 room with a door in the wrong place.

quote:
<STRONG>
and does it make it any difference if piles are inside or outside (apart from the refuse pile)?</STRONG>

Certain animals like to steal food and finished goods and the like, so it's recommended you get all of that indoors as soon as possible.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

cheers, I'll be more careful next time   :)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

quote:
[QB]the fishery is inside... but..

hm.. *cough*... he just died of thirst     :roll:

QB]

Haha, classic ! I don't mean to sound mean by laughing at you it's just that i made the exact same mistake except with a carpenter shop. I built it, not thinking any more room than the 3x3 area was needed. Carpenter went in, built himself a nice shop, and sat there...unable to make any beds. Eventually i dug him out, he RAN outside to the river and drank to his hearts content.

[ March 02, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

Nice... I did that with  a statue one time. I was really confused by the cancel path actions.  I eventauly freed him by removing the statue. But it was pretty close.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 04:19:00 am »

Just as a note, the 'X's around food items don't mean they are about to rot. It actually means they are suffering wear and tear/other damage. I usually get this with food stockpiles that are outside.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

Several of my dwarves had the same problem with statues...  And I didn't really know what the problem was... So I left them there.  Somehow, though, without my intervention, they all eventually were freed.  Although, I think just one out of probably 5 died of thirst.  I later found out that it's them trapping themselves underneath the statues and it'd be best if they're released.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tylui:
<STRONG>Several of my dwarves had the same problem with statues...  And I didn't really know what the problem was... So I left them there.  Somehow, though, without my intervention, they all eventually were freed.  Although, I think just one out of probably 5 died of thirst.  I later found out that it's them trapping themselves underneath the statues and it'd be best if they're released.</STRONG>

Yeah, this is kind of an annoying bug I get all the time. Either draft the dwarf into the military for a moment to get them to move, or if that doesn't work have someone come along and remove the statue.