Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Races as Playable Characters.  (Read 2439 times)

TimeTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • Stranglin' and Janglin'
    • View Profile
Animal Races as Playable Characters.
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

So I was looking through the wiki and I came across the Syndromes page, so while scrolling down I saw that serpent people could paralyze their enemies with their bite. I actually remember trying this in the Arena with a platypus man and using his foot poison. Anyway the point is, I was wonder how I could play as one of these races in adventure mode? I wanna fight stuff as a snake guy, because that'd be awesome. So, is there a mod for this or what?
Prismo FTW.
Turtles Turtles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Races as Playable Characters.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »

There are no mods out there that I know of but doing it yourself is a very simple process.

All you need to do is add 3 lines to entity_default.txt in the raws folder.

[ENTITY:ADV_SERPENT_MAN]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:SERPENT_MAN]

That will allow you to play as a serpent man outsider in adventure mode.  If you ever want to play as something else all you need to do is change the contents of the [CREATURE:X] Tag to the name for the creature in the raws.  (In this case SERPENT_MAN).  Also the contents of [ENTITY:X] can be anything you want, as long as it is a unique name (ie no two entities can have the same name.)  The only tag that cannot be changed is [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] which is the tag that tells the game that this 'civilization' can be used in adventure mode.

Actually creating a civilization of the creatures so that they would have their own towns and such would be much more complicated.  But this is the bare minimum needed to have a playable serpent man in adventure mode.

Oh and I forgot to mention, you will need to generate a new world after you do this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:41:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:50:47 pm »

What he said. Technically, you can make a new entity_whatever.txt file. And, you can also add more [CREATURE:x] tags to that civ definition as desired. Don't add more than like 50, though. I got the game to crash after adding too many and then retiring and attempting to unretire adventurers, so apparently the game doesn't like to have too long a list.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »

Just be sure to note that some animal men are fairly weak. Squidmen are soft and squishy, but hey! multiple arms!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »

Animalmen are pretty small and thus bleed out rather quickly. Reptile men are bigger and stronger than any sentient I've fought with them in the arena, but I don't think they fall under the general category of "animal man" like dingo men or anaconda men or spotted owl men.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »

The underground animal peoples already have their own civ. Just add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] to their definition (it's at the bottom of the file) and you can play them all as outsiders. Bear in mind that any creature you give a civ to will disappear from the wild.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?