Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Mode: Carrying supplies could be easier.  (Read 935 times)

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer Mode: Carrying supplies could be easier.
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »

When I wander the wilds I try to carry 3 waterskins and 70+ units of food.

At the moment I never find waterskins for sale, so I have to visit a fort just to get them.  So, it would be nice to be able to find them in shops (am I just looking in the wrong places?)

I also find that I drop my backpack to fight things.  When I do this my speed goes from ~300 to ~1700.  so perhaps there could be an option that would always place your backpack at the top of the list so it would be easier to find and drop.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Mode: Carrying supplies could be easier.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:01 pm »

You are most likely correct. I never find any waterskins in any shops. This is extremely annoying, seeing is how I am always dying or stressing out over thirst or hunger. To get sustenance, I always have to get a quest and go kill the target, drink the blood, and later die of a horrible horrible disease.

As for the backpacks, when you go to your inventory, it's some-what easy to scroll through and drop your backpack.
Good thing to do, too, when you're in a battle is throw your backpack at the target and weaken it.

But, yeah, carrying supplies should be easier.
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:54:21 am »

If you're into mods, I recommend Wanderer's friend. It makes you able to craft things and so on.

Remember you can also use barrels for carrying water. Find foods market (there is one in every town) and see someone who keeps his trade goods in a barrel. Buy everything he has in that barrel. Then you can pick it up freely and fill it with water like waterskin is filled.

But yeah, I agree with you otherwise. Shops are just now worthless, since there isn't really anything you really need.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:08 am »

You can store water in quivers and backpacks, and you probably shouldn't be carrying so much food! What would be interesting is if we could make someone else carry all the food...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »

The worst is trying to buy armor. The shops always seem to be empty. It's like some Robin Hood is going around stealing from all the shops and giving to random locations.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:35 pm »

The worst is trying to buy armor. The shops always seem to be empty. It's like some Robin Hood is going around stealing from all the shops and giving to random locations.
I find that he tends to give it all to whomever I intend to fight next, thus causing my demise.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »

I find that he tends to give it all to whomever I intend to fight next, thus causing my demise.
He's not so generous with my enemies. They all have copper, leather, or no armor. All the iron and bronze is strewn about in lairs, forts, and tombs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:06:15 am »

Matoro: usually use a custom mod.  This game is my first with wanderer's friend added into it, and it is pretty awesome!...but...I ended up having to visit a fort to find some thread - to make the waterskins.  still some progress ;)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 07:51:50 am »

Matoro: usually use a custom mod.  This game is my first with wanderer's friend added into it, and it is pretty awesome!...but...I ended up having to visit a fort to find some thread - to make the waterskins.  still some progress ;)

I'm not entirely sure if it was in Wanderer's, but I think you should be able to create thread from some "prepared intestines".
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

zimluura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 09:46:49 am »

Ahh, I was looking for sheep.  Then I was going to try to figure out a way to kill one without the whole town turning against me   :-\     In general I should have thought that out better.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »

Meh, for the armor, I get a well armored companion and cross a river and watch him drown, and get the body, take the gear and toss him back into the water.

Armok is pleased..

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »

Meh, for the armor, I get a well armored companion and cross a river and watch him drown, and get the body, take the gear and toss him back into the water.

Armok is pleased..
For some reason I can't ever find any well armored companions. Robin Hood strikes again.

I wonder if it has anything to do with all the dragons rampant in my world. Does having lots of megabeasts hurt production?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:27:18 pm by Bumber »

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:26:54 pm »

I just go to fortresses and recruit one guy and drown him, and continue until

A) This fortress has run out of guards to siphon armor from
or
B) I find something that fits

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:56:27 am »

Or you could use option

C) Just look inside all the bags/chests in a fortress and see if there's anything of interest.

Shops desperately need some more usability, and rewards for doing quests (like said equipment grabbing) would be quite nifty too.

Oh, and you don't really need food as much as you need water. As long as you have some coin to spare on some food, you can probably make do with some 6/9 pieces of meat.
Because you'll eventually stumble upon stuff to kill on your 'venturing.
And even if you become completely blind in terms of accuracy from massive famine, it's going to take some serious time to die of it.

oh_no

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 08:04:17 pm »

Do any shops sell booze? I managed to retrieve some from my abandoned fortress and the lower freezing temperature is very handy.