Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catch animals. not hunt  (Read 501 times)

RC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catch animals. not hunt
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

How do I set my Dwarves to capture these mountain goats outside my fort?  What do I need?

Also, has anyone tried making little rooms for their animals?  Cant think of anything besides using the "meeting room" designation.  I guess that works good enough...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catch animals. not hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

To my knowledge, there is no way to capture an animal short of hoping it blunders into a cage trap.

You can build a cage, q-select it, and make it into a room; that will create a "zoo" where dwarves can go look at the animals. However, they'll only get happy thoughts from seeing animals they like, and they get unhappy thoughts from seeing ones they don't like, so it's not a reliable way to make dwarves happy.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

Oh, sure, rooms for the animals work well. So long as they don't mind the semi-painful journey from the z-level above the room, of course   ;)

To actually capture things, you're going to want cage traps - unless I'm mistaken, they'll capture everything except invading theives. That includes, but is not limited to:

• Megabeasts
  • Goblins
  • Goats
Note that the critter in question will have to step right on the trap to trigger it, and as such you'll have to either set a lot of traps, get very lucky, or come up with a smart way to funnel the goats into the traps. Military dwarves that are set to 'ignore animals' work well for this - you can station the dwarves behind the goats, then slowly inch them forward to (hopefully) chase the goats into a waiting set of cage traps.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

cage traps will catch goblin child catchers. I don't know about kobolds.

cage traps are actually a great early warning system for goblin ambushes. Have some traps at your entrance, they will catch the goblin child catchers (who make it to the entrance before the sneaky squads). And because the child catcher is revealed when he gets caught, you get a message ("protect the children!!!")and an automatic pause. When that happens, it is time to keep your dwarves indoors, as the sneaking squads will arrive very shortly.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

Kobolds are [TRAPAVOID].
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

On the subject of zoos, I've noticed that dogs, cats, horses, and cows are the most common animals for dwarves to get happy thoughts from. Since I keep all my puppies and kittens, as well as other livestock, in a cage in my dining room/zoo I tend to have happier dwarves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One