Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage traps  (Read 774 times)

DigitalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage traps
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

Just to clarify, is it possible to bait cage traps or make them in some way more attractive to the local wildlife? I have a feeling the answer is no but I'm not 100% certain. Sorry in advance if this has already been answered and my forum-searching skills are not up to scratch.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cage traps
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

no you cant but you CAN send out dwarves through the kennels to catch live land animals using animal traps. (only catches vermin and the like)

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

You can sort of bait cage traps for some animals.  For animals that like to steal stuff, like monkeys, you can put a small food stockpile near the traps.  For predators, you can chain a kitten or two near the trap.  It works best if you place the bait and the trap in such a way that the creature has to pass over the trap to get to the bait.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

DigitalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Alright, thanks guys. Its a shame that you can bait vermin traps but not cage traps..

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

A combination of live bait and funneling can prove to be rather effective.  Just dig out channels that extend in a V pattern from the cage, and place the bait safely behind the cage(s).  Far-off predators will be gently herded in by the channels, and nearby predators will try to attack the bait.