Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attracting immigrants  (Read 804 times)

Ograbme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attracting immigrants
« on: February 26, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

It's been 3 or 4 years since I've gotten my last non-noble immigrant. I thought that killing all my useless nobles was a problem, so I keep them around (except the hammerer) now. Still, all I ever get are replacement hammerers. My current population is 119, declining only due to the occasional failed mood or berzerk-from-old-wounds guy. I gave the dwarf caravan very favorable trades, but still no immigrants. What gives?

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
Re: Attracting immigrants
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

init.txt has a section [POPULATION_CAP], which does default to 200, but have you coincidentally set it to 100?

Do you get traders? Do you trade with them? Trade influences immigration count (although it shouldn't count down all the way to zero methinks)

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

Your immigration is based on the value of the fortress, and the value of stuff traded out. Try mining out some platinum, making a butt-ton (yes, its a unit of measure) of crafts out of it, and give about half of them to the next trader. That should jumpstart your immigration.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

Alternately, did your fortress face a massive catastrophe in the recent past? Dwarves won't immigrate to a death-trap... well nobles will... actually that's pretty weird now that I think about it...

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

I don't want to seem like im hijacking the thread but i have a few questions very much related to this and i didn't want to make an unnecesary new topic so i would very much appreciate people answering them:

1.) Is it possible for enough deaths in a fortress to stop immigration all together?

2.) How much more of an effect does a noble dying compared to a worker dying?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Would have to try that, Captain. Makes for interesting experiments. Welcome to the Hotel California!

My sense of hijacking is that until the OP has given some sort of feedback on the responses so far, there is little room for new questions.

But that's entirely me of course. Old school Oxford politeness.

Ograbme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

There have been no horrible disasters (yet). A few goblin sieges, but they never got past the outdoor river. I usually ignore the dwarven traders, but they've summoned immigrants in the past. I guess I'l gust dump my million bins full of masterwork bone crafts on the next one.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

It is stated in the wiki that if the caravan doesn't make it back, previous years' report will be used. Since your visitors did make it back, but returned no revenue, my bet is that interest in your fort has waned.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Well the caravan seems to care as much about the state of your fortress as it does about the goods it's carrying...

For example, in my One Dwarf Against the World thread, I killed one of the two merchants, and the other fled- in other words the merchants returned with %50 of their goods, yet I still got immigrants... four, probably because my fortress was tiny.

There's an idea, try mining out a whole lot more space and see if that attracts more immigrants. It might also have to do with the food supply, alcohol supply, number of beds or number of workshops. All of those things were low in my game and might account for fewer immigrants (though there were around five workshops for one dwarf in my example)...

(I am correct in that the fall immigration wave is usually larger than four, right? I can't really remember...)

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

quote:
(I am correct in that the fall immigration wave is usually larger than four, right? I can't really remember...)

im not sure if there is a minimum immigrant wave....
...44 dwarves and 6 nobles descended on my fort earlier, taking the pop from 28 to 78 in one go and only spring in yr 3.

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Ograbme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

Yup, it was my stinginess with traders. I gave the dwarf merchant about $2500 in profit and got 10 immigrants the following spring.

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

What would one do if you were digging above a glacier and had no trade with the dwarves(no humans or elves either)
3 years later and only the metalsmith arrived I had thought that after carving the indoor forest and generally increasing the worth of the fortress I would get a few.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 01:19:00 am »

Rollio, i could be wrong, but if you have no trade with dwarves, and hense no interaction with them, immigrants may not migrate from there to your fort.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 05:33:00 am »

Well then I shall have to construct a very interesting and trap laden fortress, I hadn't played on a glacier before I didn't know you could get water into a channel just by digging in the snow. Flooding and bridge traps ahoy.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

The interesting thing about a no-trade map is that your fortress is inevitably doomed. None of your original seven can marry, and even if the metalsmith has a spouse, their kids can't marry. (Currently only immigrants can be married, I believe.) Of course, the dwarven life-span is very long, so you should be able to last long enough to get everyone up to max stats and masterpiece full steel before an incredibly epic final battle with the demons. (If someone manages to take out the demons with only 8 dwarves, no flooding or bridge-smashing, I will be greatly impressed.)