Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Jump Through Time --- Assassin's Dorf  (Read 802 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Jump Through Time --- Assassin's Dorf
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »

Hello everyone, this is maybe my second time posting here. I've had some stuff dorfy going on, but I am back and ready to talk.

I've been thinking, a lot of people play Dwarf Fortress now. No games have what I am about to bring up, well, no game that is realistic to the point that this has even been brought up. Couldn't it be possible to implement evolution into the game? Not Charles Darwin stuff, I mean technological advances. From torches to [insert not as advanced light source here] to [a little more advanced lighting source here] to [more advanced here] and so on. Just think of it like America's olden days, the cotton loom and the cotton gin, all of this stuff was evolution'd into play. This could be implemented over time, could it not?  ---Dwarf Fortress mode - In-Game Adventurer mode for towns- ---
----------------
Assassin's Dorf -

After murderizing a poor goblin child, the Goblin Mayor is walking through the streets. He looks down and finds a dead goblin child. The Mayor sends a search team to find the murderer...

To make the game just a tad bit more realistic, the developers could (after everything else) start working on a stealthier engine or design? The ability to drag bodies, hide the bodies, and so on. The AI control could be upgraded to having a 'Holy CRAP HE'S DEAD' kind of feel, reacting to dead bodies in stead of leaving them to rot. Give the AIs dynamic emotions and reactions to their surroundings.  --Adventurer Mode--

(The things with the '---' are telling what modes these would best fit in)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:02:14 pm by DwarfOfTheLand »
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: A Jump Through Time --- Assassin's Dorf
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:39:16 pm »

The second suggestion will be in the next release.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »

There have been a few interesting discussions on the first one before. Try searching for 'research' / 'tech tree' / 'technology'.

Here are a few of the more interesting ones that I came across:

Specifically, check out this Future of the Fortress reply directly from Toady One (from 31 Jan):

Quote from: LordBaal
I always wondered if you ever thought of implementing a "research system", where some things became available as certain dates or entities invent/discover/develop them?

I don't think anything will happen with certain dates.  I don't have a specific objection to people discovering things, but it requires some kind of starting point, which I haven't really thought about.

So at least from that, it seems possible that it'll happen, but not in the particularly near future. Unless of course Toady gets in a strange mood. That happens sometimes...
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »

Nice idea, and I am ec-freaking-static about the Assassin Dorf.

Having some new jobs, that were created by a dwarf that went insane and started 'Tinkering' with different things to create newer machines.
Also, can I get a link to the next release features? I'd like to see if the new AI engine thing is all about.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:21:42 pm by DwarfOfTheLand »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »

IIRC Toady said that DF wouldn't advance past the medival age. I'm probably wrong.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »

Okay. Does DF have an IRC or something we can talk to Toady?

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »

Well, in all honesty, I'm sure that the community could easily mod this in, save the developers from having to skip the important stuff to do some technology thing.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:09 pm »

Okay. Does DF have an IRC or something we can talk to Toady?
I think the best way to ask questions is in the Future of the Fortress thread, although he only answers a few times a month, so it's not exactly a two way dialog. Alternatively, you could try emailing him, although I have no idea how often he checks / responds to those. It turns out that there are a lot of really interested fans of DF and he really can't keep up with all of them. I think he mentioned something like that in one of the DF Talk episodes.

Well, in all honesty, I'm sure that the community could easily mod this in, save the developers from having to skip the important stuff to do some technology thing.
I'm sure that you could right now in a round about way using something having to research / build certain components in order to build latter buildings, which would at least be close. I'm not sure how far anyone has taken that idea though. Anything more than that I think would require changes to the base game itself, which Toady would have to do.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:55:58 pm »

Indeed, I don't think there are any EPIC_GAWDLY coders that could do all of this. Each building would have to have perks, it'd be like the Medieval Space Race, it's impossible.

I'll wait a few months, and contact Toady personally. I emailed him a while back and I think he accepted my 'body dragging and stealth' things. I just remembered that.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:36 am »

I'm not sure I like the idea about advancing technologically... I like the medieval fantasy theme. :)

Also, can I get a link to the next release features? I'd like to see if the new AI engine thing is all about.

Here's a link to a fan-compiled changelog. :)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:12:06 am »

DF doesn't need technological evolution.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »

Right, it doesn't need it, which is why it could just use some more things for Fortress Mode.