Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Challanges of biomes, in order?  (Read 3730 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challanges of biomes, in order?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »

Catsup how you solve a problem of wood on glaciers ?
the default embark point is around 1.2k right? iunno about you but for all of my embarks wood always cost 3 embark points each, which means you can easily buy 100 units of wood to last until you breach the aquifier and secured all 3 cavern levels, which will then provide you with all the wood you'll ever need.

use wood sparingly for the first few years as the caverns take some time to grow masses of trees after they're breached, avoid making anything out of them except wheelbarrows for hauling rocks, beds, a few wooden training axes to cut down more trees, and minecarts for minecart stops (and the initial screw pumps if you are using the draining method for aquifiers).

Sand costs 1 embark point each and comes with its own bag, coal costs 3 points each and can be made into a net of 8 coke. You can build a normal glass furnance and smelter to make many glass terraniums for fast cage traps for the caverns and for first year summer necromancer-rushes. But try to get magma forging asap to save coke for steel.

There is no sand on a glacier but because there is no default soil, cavern plant tiles will revert to a random soil type when the plant is harvested, so you can always get fire clay for free large pots (if you have magma forging) and sand for glass cages later on.

Kagerus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Challanges of biomes, in order?
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »

Thanks for answer. I need to try starting on glacier again. Last time I get a lot of fun very quick.
Pages: 1 [2]